Adding HAC Back Into Desmogged 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Threads
As the world melts down with Corona Virus, it seems my Cruiser is going to get a bit of a respite from its normal daily driving duties as I am forced by management at work to stay home the rest of March. I am going to take this opportunity to not only try my best to escape contracting this illness, but to get some things done on my truck I have wanted to get knocked out while I can afford some 60 series downtime. My '84 was desmogged by the previous owner, and looking over the vacuum routing for this desmog guide, the desmog job seems to not be totally done correctly. The PO removed and ditched the HAC when doing the desmog and resorted to some vacuum routing which seems quite odd to me after going through the desmog guide. I would like to get the HAC put back in place to help with trips at altitude.

I was able to source an HAC. So working through getting it put back in place. Going through the linked guide, it seems I need to re-do the vacuum routing to get this to work correctly. The elements which are in play here are basically the vacuum ports on the carb, the primary and secondary vacuum advance ports as well as the vent on the distributor, and the ports on the HAC. To illustrate what I think I need to do here, I'll use these labeled pictures as guides for the rest of my layout:

Carb.png
CarbSide.png
HAC.png

Using the labels in the above pics, here is what I think I need to do for vacuum routing:

HAC port (a) to carb port C
HAC port (b) to carb HAC Slow Port
HAC port (c) to carb port A
HAC port (d) to "T" fitting:
o One leg of the "T" goes the distributor HAC Advance Port
o Other leg of the "T" goes to the Gas Filter via a check valve
Carb Advancer Port to distributor Vacuum Advance Port
One Vent Port to VCV for distributor ventilation port (z)

So right now, My dizzy vacuum routing looks like this:

IMG_5338[1845].jpg

So Dizzy vent port to primary advance and then secondary advance port (HAC) just routes over to what looks like carb advancer port. So using secondary advance for all vacuum advance and just looping the vent to primary advance. I don't know what that routing does but does not seem like it would allow for proper timing advance under normal operating conditions. But maybe it works. Engine seems to run fine as is.

So with all that, a couple of questions and just general check me on my proposed routing. Is the desmog guide I am looking at still valid? And for this:

Other leg of the "T" goes to the Gas Filter via a check valve

I am not sure what the gas filter that's being referred to is. Charcoal canister perhaps?

Am I correct on the routing above to get my HAC back in place and working properly? I need to source VCV/VTV valves to do this properly as well I believe. My truck has none. Thanks in advance for any help here.

I've got some of the parts you may need. But first I'll look at the HAC and distributor venting diagrams I have, hopefully I can help confirm some of your information.

I've got some of the parts you may need. But first I'll look at the HAC and distributor venting diagrams I have, hopefully I can help confirm some of your information.

OK thanks for the offer here. I do have a guy here local with a 2FE converted truck who kept most of his smog gear when he did the conversion (@SgtChase here on MUD). That's who I got the HAC from. He mentioned he may have other parts needed for this so I might dig into his stash if he will let me. I think the VCV/VTV stuff is needed to do this properly which I definitely don't have.

I drew up a diagram and color coded it, I'll check it against what you posted.

I’ve got a desmogged truck with a city racer carb. I’ve gone from sea level to 13,600 feet.

Above 4,000 feet I tee the two ports on the distributor pods together and run it on both at altitude. I know the HAC is progressive, but this has worked for me on multiple trips. When I get to 4,000 feet, I advance base timing, tee the pods and do a lean drop idle set. It works for me and its easy to reverse.

9C4E514E-E47F-478F-A776-0A87B08957B2.jpeg

604E37AB-EBCD-431C-9E1A-7A40F81D6ADD.jpeg

I’ve got a desmogged truck with a city racer carb. I’ve gone from sea level to 13,600 feet.

Above 4,000 feet I tee the two ports on the distributor pods together and run it on both at altitude. I know the HAC is progressive, but this has worked for me on multiple trips. When I get to 4,000 feet, I advance base timing, tee the pods and do a lean drop idle set. It works for me and its easy to reverse.

View attachment 2240695

View attachment 2240697

Imogene Pass?

OK so I started gathering stuff to actually implement this and already hit a snag. Can someone confirm the ID of the vacuum tube I need for this is 3mm? I got some 3 mm but it seems too small to fit on some of these fittings. I pulled some old hose off of the HAC I had and it seems more like 4mm to me. Guessing this is factory stuff. The desmog guide I am using here says to use McMAster Carr 5041K22 which is 3mm. I just got some Gates 3mm locally. Perhaps the guide is wrong or is just saying to replace factory 4mm with 3mm for a better fit. Does anyone know off hand what the factory vacuum hose size is? Thanks in advance.

3mm silicone tubing is fine. Yes it's 0.5mm smaller in I.D. than Toyota's stuff but it grabs the pipe nipples a lot stronger. If you want the same size vacuum hose, buy it from Toyota.

Sorry for the delay, I'll scan my colored driagram and post it.

3mm silicone tubing is fine. Yes it's 0.5mm smaller in I.D. than Toyota's stuff but it grabs the pipe nipples a lot stronger. If you want the same size vacuum hose, buy it from Toyota.

OK great thanks for confirming.

Here's what I came up with:
OK awesome. Thanks for this @4Cruisers. Very helpful. So this diagram is a known good working setup? It differs slightly with what I came up with out of the guide I was using, mostly with regards to the primary advancer routing. Most likely me making mistakes following the guide. If your routing is in use and is known to work then I'll just go with that. Thanks again for putting that together. Very helpful and easy to read.

OK awesome. Thanks for this @4Cruisers. Very helpful. So this diagram is a known good working setup? It differs slightly with what I came up with out of the guide I was using, mostly with regards to the primary advancer routing. Most likely me making mistakes following the guide. If your routing is in use and is known to work then I'll just go with that. Thanks again for putting that together. Very helpful and easy to read.
I put that together from two Toyota FJ60 vacuum diagrams.

So @4Cruisers, would you have any idea if I could use BVSV2 for this? BVSV1 on mine has the nipples broken off but BVSV2 is good. I believe these two BVSVs operate at different temperatures so might be asking for rough idle during warm up cycle.

As I go through this I am realizing the vacuum setup on mine has more issues than just the HAC and am considering just going through the entire desmog guide again start to finish to make sure mine is all set according the guide. Can anyone confirm for me that the guide I am looking at is still the defacto standard for 2F desmogging? Thanks for the replies everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom