Adding grease to a birfield without taking it apart (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Plastic bag with corner snipped off, like a cake decorating bag. Squeeze bag inject grease

You gotta take SOME stuff apart to get in there...what's the most simple access into the guts of this creation?

You gotta take SOME stuff apart to get in there...what's the most simple access into the guts of this creation?

I think the OP already has the whole axle and birfield out at this stage.

One another note, RCV birfields like I have in my 80 series have a grease zerk on the end which allows you to grease grease them without pulling the axles out.

I think the OP already has the whole axle and birfield out at this stage.

One another note, RCV birfields like I have in my 80 series have a grease zerk on the end which allows you to grease grease them without pulling the axles out.
Genius!

There's a square plug on the inside top of the joint--is that access into the guts?

Genius!

There's a square plug on the inside top of the joint--is that access into the guts?

That is a grease port yes. You can squirt a bit in there from time to time but a properly sealed/built front knuckle does not need it.

Keep in mind, unless you are running drive flanges and not hubs any part time Land Cruiser (40/55/60) front axle does not turn unless the hubs are engaged.

Usually that is a small number if actual miles over the life of a Land Cruiser.

That is a grease port yes. You can squirt a bit in there from time to time but a properly sealed/built front knuckle does not need it.

Keep in mind, unless you are running drive flanges and not hubs any part time Land Cruiser (40/55/60) front axle does not turn unless the hubs are engaged.

Usually that is a small number if actual miles over the life of a Land Cruiser.
Fulltime 4wd on mine. The birfields were rebuilt in Oct 2021.

My axle breather tube vent was dribbling oil. There was a little grease presence in my front diff. I put on new breather line w a fuel filter on the end, whi h will hopefully solve this purge, but l believe grease was pulled into axle due to vacuum caused by one-way breather valve and now my birfields must be a little low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom