Adding an aftermarket XM antenna to a 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
Thanks to @BigMF for his work on identifying where the plug was and a great video on how to take the radio out. After seeing his post , I was a mission to find an adapter so I could use a high gain XM antenna on my truck.

After much searching, I found the adapter that is needed to use an aftermarket XM antenna on the 200 Series Land Cruiser.

www.Discountcarstereo.com makes the adapter needed for this modification.

There is a slight modification required for this adapter to work and is very minor easily performed with a sharp utility knife.

Now I can use a high gain XM antenna and eliminate all the dead zones.

The customer service is outstanding, with quick answers to my e-mailed questions. Something that is hard to find with an Internet company.

9.jpg

12.jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (13).jpg

XM antenna.jpg

FYI, if you have a newer LC the adapter is different than the one earlier in the thread:

tempImageogcaNS.jpg

IMG_2394.jpeg

Once you have it connected it works great. My Dissent rack was causing too much interferance with the signal. Reception still drops out in situations where the signal is blocked by tall buildings or rock faces, but tree cover, overpasses, and random "fiddliness" is no longer an issue. Also when I load up the rack with gear and cargo boxes covering the factory antenna even more it really messes with the factory antenna.

Relatively cheap mod - Antenna $35 from Amazon, adapter $25 with express shipping, fabricated bracket from on-hand aluminum angle, but you could use the one it came with. I just wanted to beef it up a little.

tempImagetJSbqH.jpg

The coax tucks nicely in to the upper windscreen trim behind rack fairing and I tacked it in place with a bead of silicone caulk.

tempImageBFxCPf.jpg

FYI, if you have a newer LC the adapter is different than the one earlier in the thread:

View attachment 2771149
View attachment 2771151

Once you have it connected it works great. My Dissent rack was causing too much interferance with the signal. Reception still drops out in situations where the signal is blocked by tall buildings or rock faces, but tree cover, overpasses, and random "fiddliness" is no longer an issue. Also when I load up the rack with gear and cargo boxes covering the factory antenna even more it really messes with the factory antenna.

Relatively cheap mod - Antenna $35 from Amazon, adapter $25 with express shipping, fabricated bracket from on-hand aluminum angle, but you could use the one it came with. I just wanted to beef it up a little.

View attachment 2771155

The coax tucks nicely in to the upper windscreen trim behind rack fairing and I tacked it in place with a bead of silicone caulk.

View attachment 2771156
Nice. Hopefully this thread helped you out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom