Adding a catalytic convertor to an H engine? Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A local school has an fj45 with a H engine in it. When my wife and I went to go look at it, all the smoke scared my wife. My question.... is adding a catalytic converter possible with these motors or does it cause harm? I know I would be looking at a universal option or is there something else?

Thanks

Smoke will not be removed via a catalytic converter.

Many reasons for smoke

1) Too much fuel
2) To little air
3) Worn rings/ valve stem seals/guides
4) Valve adjustment need
5) injection pump timing.

In Germany there was a kit for it, there a license plate can be changed and so boost economy and research (not in Netherlands...)
Also spoke to a mechanic that added AdBlue to old trucks, het said black smoke turns to white at startup. Maybe that is an option?

DPF Partikelfilter, Katalysatoren​

pdf BNOx SCR Baumot Twintec

Last edited:
It’s a Diesel engine;

where was the smoke coming from - tailpipe or under engine

what colour was it - blue, white,black

did it go away after it warmed up

An engine needs the right fuel settings to work and I think this would kill a catalytic converter pretty quick. Your best be it to ascertain why it is making smoke and go from there. Colour of smoke and how fast it clears is all important.
These engines were probably designed in the 60s, long before pollution was a concern.

Unless its a conversion, its proper designation is HJ45

Thank you guys for the response. It is black smoke at start up out of the tail pipe. So I guess it's just how it goes

It is black smoke at start up out of the tail pipe. So I guess it's just how it goes
It depends on how much black smoke. It could just need the injectors rebuilt, thats normally the first step. As they get old fuel tends to dribble, rather than a finely atomised spray.

A local school has an fj45 with a H engine in it. When my wife and I went to go look at it, all the smoke scared my wife. My question.... is adding a catalytic converter possible with these motors or does it cause harm? I know I would be looking at a universal option or is there something else?
Stay away and buy some new vehicle. H-engine will not suit to your wife. Emission devices would kill the H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom