Add Toyota Remote Start to 2021 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ran into a similar problem for my 2019 200 LC my local dealer who is usually pretty good , but told me they had no listing for anything above 2019 , they checked with there parts Dept and they told me if I could get them a part number they could check and see if it was compatible .
I was done with them , I have a account with Sparks Toyota and they verified PT398-60160 works for my 2019 .
I think I paid around 300 bucks for the factory Toyota one but still have to install it .
Sparks is usually pretty good on prices plus being on another site they have a discount code save a couple bucks .
Greg, if you need help installing it, let me know I can iMessage you a video how to cycle it. I didn’t want to publish on YouTube for sake of BigBrother getting mad.

I have not got around to it yet ... I still have to put together a laptop with techstream .
Thanks Eric I will hit you when I’m ready .

I just installed the 12 Volt Solutions remote last week on my 2016. Install literally takes 15 minutes.

Unfortunately mine is not working but I believe that is due to the fact my LC came with a factory remote. Seems like the two remotes are conflicting with each other - trying to figure that out now...

I just installed the 12 Volt Solutions remote last week on my 2016. Install literally takes 15 minutes.

Unfortunately mine is not working but I believe that is due to the fact my LC came with a factory remote. Seems like the two remotes are conflicting with each other - trying to figure that out now...

Problem solved on my 2016. Disconnected the harness (one connector behind the glove box) for the factory remote start and all now works correctly.

Techstream was not needed to adjust ecu settings.

Problem solved on my 2016. Disconnected the harness (one connector behind the glove box) for the factory remote start and all now works correctly.

Techstream was not needed to adjust ecu settings.
Since the instructions aren't available for download until a purchase is made, can you provide a quick description of what's involved for the install?

Since the instructions aren't available for download until a purchase is made, can you provide a quick description of what's involved for the install?

Sure...it really is “that easy”. Candidly the hardest part is getting the dash apart and the Install instructions from 12 Volt Solutions do not explain that part very well. A couple folks on this forum pointed me to install instructions for trailer brake controllers that helped me understand how to get the dash apart.

My experience...The dash panel directly below the steering column needs to come down. I accessed that by pulling on the vertical section next to the steering wheel just enough to get a coated clip tool in to free the clips (between the upper dash and the bottom panel). Once you have access there are two connectors - (1) below the steering column and (1) in the control module below and to the left side of the steering wheel. You can not mess up these connections...I do not think there are any two alike.

Once you access the connectors you pull the factory connector out - plug it into the harness of the remote and then plug the harness from the remote into the open slot in the vehicle. There is a sequence that you have to follow when plugging the remote harness into the remote start device but it us very straight forward. I bought the remote phone device as well, but that only added one more connection to the process. Again, very straight forward.

Once connections were made I taped everything in place with 3M double sided foam tape and buttoned it up.

Hope that helps. Let me know if any questions.

Sure...it really is “that easy”. Candidly the hardest part is getting the dash apart and the Install instructions from 12 Volt Solutions do not explain that part very well. A couple folks on this forum pointed me to install instructions for trailer brake controllers that helped me understand how to get the dash apart.

My experience...The dash panel directly below the steering column needs to come down. I accessed that by pulling on the vertical section next to the steering wheel just enough to get a coated clip tool in to free the clips (between the upper dash and the bottom panel). Once you have access there are two connectors - (1) below the steering column and (1) in the control module below and to the left side of the steering wheel. You can not mess up these connections...I do not think there are any two alike.

Once you access the connectors you pull the factory connector out - plug it into the harness of the remote and then plug the harness from the remote into the open slot in the vehicle. There is a sequence that you have to follow when plugging the remote harness into the remote start device but it us very straight forward. I bought the remote phone device as well, but that only added one more connection to the process. Again, very straight forward.

Once connections were made I taped everything in place with 3M double sided foam tape and buttoned it up.

Hope that helps. Let me know if any questions.
Thanks, that was very helpful. I installed one of the Android CarPlay units, so I'm familiar with taking the center stack apart. I haven't tackled taking the steering wheel portion of the dash apart, but I suspect it's similar in difficulty (so not too bad).

Does PT398-60160 work for 2021? I know it says ‘16-19.

Does PT398-60160 work for 2021? I know it says ‘16-19.
Yes it does, selling dealer installed mine. It works per design.

Eric, any chance you could shoot me that video? Thank you, David
Sure, if you have an iPhone I can send it via iMessage. Just shoot me a text.

Last edited:
Looks like PT398-60160 is around $300. Is there any advantage to using the Toyota part vs installing the basic 12Volt Solutions system @ $250?

I’ve got a 2016 that looks to have every option but this. Am I reading correctly that the truck will turn off once you go to enter the vehicle? Hence requiring you to start the vehicle again “normally”?

While I haven’t owned Toyotas with remote start before, I’ve owned many other makes that do - this is a first for me. Why? I don’t like the idea of letting it run for a short period, killing it, then starting again. Sounds like a good way to introduce accelerated build up.

They claim it's a safety feature but they could have easily done as most other manufacturers do and require you to depress the brake pedal and push the start/stop button once you've entered the vehicle in order to have it fully on and able to engage the transmission. I hate that they turn off when you open the door, it almost makes the entire thing not worth it lol.

They claim it's a safety feature but they could have easily done as most other manufacturers do and require you to depress the brake pedal and push the start/stop button once you've entered the vehicle in order to have it fully on and able to engage the transmission. I hate that they turn off when you open the door, it almost makes the entire thing not worth it lol.
If that’s the case then no interest!

FWIW, Mercedes, at least on the 2017 G63, did the same thing with needing to restart after opening the door.

Sure, if you have an iPhone I can send it via iMessage. Just shoot me a text.
I am in the middle of this install on my '16.
The process and harness are different than shown the installation procedure for the earlier LX 570 posted elsewhere.

TIS has registered the remote starter and established communication with the ECU, but I seem to be missing some other initialization process....

@Eric Sarjeant , when you have a chance, could you please pass along the installation procedure, have sent you a PM with my email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom