ACE tintable Rustoleum product (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good news just called my local ACE in NC and the rust stop tin table paint is still available.

@thecrazygreek - thank you for providing us with all the helpful info!

Thread necromanced...

A little more info... What I learned this weekend: Ace Hardware does still sell RustStop paint, but they claim it is not tintable.

Sherwin Williams' sells oil based enamel that IS tintable. It came in gloss finish, and if I'm remembering correctly the darker colors come in high gloss. It was the closest I could find to what I wanted, so I got some. I'm treating my car with rustoleum where there is rust, then rolling on the enamel. Looks awesome so far.

RustOleum's 2X paint is faulty at best... comes out patchy, since the extra solids in it solidify and you'll get bursts of powder pigment with the poorly mixed paint. No amount of shaking helps.

Post a pic please! Heading down this path soon.

I'm studying on painting my 79 40 this way. Stopped by Lowes hardware, and they stated they could not color match the rust oleum but can match any color to this valspar paint called anti-rust armor. It is a oil based enamel. Anyone have any experience with this product?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450568677.290194.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

@hondatech81 I just sprayed my kitchen cabinets this valspar paint using my hvlp hf purple gun and new-to-me compressor. I went with one of their colors called "arctic snow". Good practice for my forty, I should have asked them for a 653 olive green. Wifey likely wouldn't approve.

Curious if anyone has tried this stuff on their forty? It's about thirty something a gallon.

@hondatech81 I just sprayed my kitchen cabinets this valspar paint using my hvlp hf purple gun and new-to-me compressor. I went with one of their colors called "arctic snow". Good practice for my forty, I should have asked them for a 653 olive green. Wifey likely wouldn't approve.

Curious if anyone has tried this stuff on their forty? It's about thirty something a gallon.
@joyRidaz How did this spray through your HVLP gun? Did you thin at all? Getting ready to paint my 60 once the weather warms up and would love to find something that matches the Rustoleum Deep Slate (see attached pic from rattle can learning process). Had originally planned on going with a Nason Farm Implement base that my local shop could tint but dont believe that it was an oil-based enamel.

Working on the process of wet sanding and learning the new da polisher.
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Final product (has some burn through on edges and what not but entire truck will be repainted so was meant to learn that stuff).

Yep I very unscientifically thinned it using lacquer thinner based on various YouTube video recommendations on thinning oil based enamel. 4ish parts paint to 1 part lacquer. Probably would thin it even more for automotive

It seems to have gone through the gun pretty well, but remember this the first time using an hvlp gun. But a good first step in learning.

I think the purple harbor freight gun has a bigger tip than the silver "professional" gun which I plan to use for car parts. Should spray even better from what I've read. Purple gun will be for primer in the future.

I'm curious to know if there's a valsper clear that is nicely compatible with this paint, if so I might try it on a few pieces.

Keep us posted on your painting as well, the door looks nice!

@joyRidaz How did this spray through your HVLP gun? Did you thin at all? Getting ready to paint my 60 once the weather warms up and would love to find something that matches the Rustoleum Deep Slate (see attached pic from rattle can learning process). Had originally planned on going with a Nason Farm Implement base that my local shop could tint but dont believe that it was an oil-based enamel.

Working on the process of wet sanding and learning the new da polisher.

Final product (has some burn through on edges and what not but entire truck will be repainted so was meant to learn that stuff).

Lic 30 from valspar (found in commercial/ industrial) retailers or online is compatible with the ace oil based paint.

Yep I very unscientifically thinned it using lacquer thinner based on various YouTube video recommendations on thinning oil based enamel. 4ish parts paint to 1 part lacquer. Probably would thin it even more for automotive

It seems to have gone through the gun pretty well, but remember this the first time using an hvlp gun. But a good first step in learning.

I think the purple harbor freight gun has a bigger tip than the silver "professional" gun which I plan to use for car parts. Should spray even better from what I've read. Purple gun will be for primer in the future.

I'm curious to know if there's a valsper clear that is nicely compatible with this paint, if so I might try it on a few pieces.

Keep us posted on your painting as well, the door looks nice!
I was doing some research and while the HF purple gun does have a slightly larger tip (1.8) according to multiple sites, that is an adequate tip for spraying both primer AND main coat (clear not so much). So you could use a single stage paint and go with the HF gun, or you could get one of the TCP Global kits that has all the guns in it.

So, I started this thread 12 years ago (feeling old.) ACE stopped selling the water-based tintable stuff a few years later so its long gone.

Looking to touch up the front half of my 40 this Fall with Freeborn Red. Going to dig through the interwebs to see what new oddball stuff is out there.

Wish the ACE stuff was still around......

Pls keep us posted with what u find, so we can continue to benefit from this great thread! I like the idea of the tintable valspar paint from Lowe’s but no idea how to get it ready for auto grade work... or if any cleats and/or gardeners are compatible.

So, I started this thread 12 years ago (feeling old.) ACE stopped selling the water-based tintable stuff a few years later so its long gone.

Looking to touch up the front half of my 40 this Fall with Freeborn Red. Going to dig through the interwebs to see what new oddball stuff is out there.

@40Flipper - curious if u were able to find a compatible product to match your 40 for touching up the ace rust oleum turntable?

Or if anyone has had recent success with any tin table color match products from the big box hardware stores since Althea original ace rust oleum stuff isn’t readily available anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom