Acceptable levels of smoke from a 2H? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have noticed lately that my HJ60 is producing some grey smoke. I can only see it at night when someone is behind me and thier headlights illuminate the smoke. I can barely see it at idle, but it is noticable at about 50% throttle up until about 40mph (by then the turbulance from the truck is dispersing it).

Is this an acceptable amount? What should I check/change ro remedy this? It still pulls as strong as ever and gets ~21mpg mixed driving.

Some times in light, black smoke from fuel will look grey. If it is grey smoke there is something wrong, but i can't remember what.

I recently had grey smoke on the hj60 and a crappy thermostat overheated the 2h and in the end it was the head. Not saying its that, but it was certainly grey not blue or black and it was a quick painless death. Could really see it when you started it after sitting for a few hours. Just a thought. Good luck.

I notice the same on my hj60, 1987 with 310,000km. It doesn't smoke on startup after it's warmed up. If I get on it entering the freeway or from a stop light it smokes at the very top of the powerband before I shift, a black puff, but this is only when I'm reallying gunning it because someone is rushing up on me.

I'm currently running about B90 biodiesel. It was noticeably smokier before I started on the biodiesel, but even then only the black puffs when getting on the gas.

However, at night when illuminated by headlights behind me it's like I'm the batmobile with the smoke screen device. I always assumed it was just particulate matter in the exhaust that is not visible during the day. This happens even on B99 biodiesel.

I don't think this smoke you only see when illuminated is anything to be concerned about. I think all my cruisers have been like that.

ok .. somethings to check.

At cold start, white to grey smoke - normal.

Al operative temp, idle no smoke fine.

Under heavy load, poor black smoke normal. Black smoke in a diesel engine, means more diesel that the engine can burn. If you aren't noticed of any temp issue in your engine I thought all was fine. In the most radical case, you need to go to good diesel lab to check your snozees.

Check your air filter ( you need O2 to burn " all " diesel in your engine )

and keep up posted ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom