Accelerating troubles on 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update: AC Delco 215-153 vapor canister arrived and installed today.
Before that I ran the truck for about a week without the canister, based off the 60 series forum 3FE info, and the problem definitely got better, but not completely gone: smooth acceleration was great even on long trips, but sharp acceleration still leads to some stumbling. I'll see if having the canister in helps with anything- it makes sense that it will marginally assist since it's closer to how the system is designed to work.

Once the fuel filter arrives I'll report what the results are. Maybe this was a combination failure of fuel filter and charcoal canister.

New PCV valve/hose/grommet should also arrive next week, we'll see what impact that has as well.

Update: AC Delco 215-153 vapor canister arrived and installed today.
Before that I ran the truck for about a week without the canister, based off the 60 series forum 3FE info, and the problem definitely got better, but not completely gone: smooth acceleration was great even on long trips, but sharp acceleration still leads to some stumbling. I'll see if having the canister in helps with anything- it makes sense that it will marginally assist since it's closer to how the system is designed to work.

Once the fuel filter arrives I'll report what the results are. Maybe this was a combination failure of fuel filter and charcoal canister.

New PCV valve/hose/grommet should also arrive next week, we'll see what impact that has as well.

Good progress. Please do report back--interested to hear how it goes.

Fuel filter went in today. Didn't really make any difference, where the charcoal canister definitely did. Still glad I did it, but it was not the problem.

I did notice, though, there are small holes in the rusting exhaust pipe right below the O2 sensors- not obvious, but careful examination showed that's what's going on. That seems like that has a good chance of being the cause. Is that a viable explanation?

I still have a PCV valve, hose and grommet coming in to install, since the PCV hose was likely leaking through a good-sized crack.

Ongoing in this, the PCV and hose were swapped out and a 93 Camry Mass Airflow sensor were installed. Things are getting better, but now I've got codes 41 and 42, and still have the acceleration problem.
Code 41 I get- the next item on the list is the Throttle Position Sensor, probably going to have that one done next weekend.

Code 42 is a weird one to me, going to research that one now.

Good point, it wasn't really clear. I tested the TPS and it showed as bad based off the FSM. I was worried there was going to be something else after I replaced, but it looks like everything's back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom