AC Drier removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of overhauling my a.c. system. One of the bolts snapped inside of the drier. Is cutting the drier into small pieces, the only option I have?

yeah, you toss the dryer anyways. i am sure you can find a bolt at the hardware store that will work. a new one from rockauto is pretty cheap.

I am in the process of overhauling my a.c. system. One of the bolts snapped inside of the drier. Is cutting the drier into small pieces, the only option I have?

Denso its like $13 on Amazon

I'm not understanding why you want to cut the drier into pieces? There is one bolt for each A/C line fitting right?

If you snapped the head off of one but got the other one out...you should be able to just pull the drier away from the remaining line/fitting. You are going to be replacing the drier anyway...so don't be afraid to do whatever you need to do to it in order to get it out, but DON'T damage your hard lines or their terminal ends.

Same thing happened to me. The bolt head broke off but the block would not release from the top of the drier. I very nearly screwed up the hard lines trying to pry it off.

I ended up using a 1/2" drill or so to drill out the remnants of the screw. I made sure to reattach the dryer to it's bracket as well, so when I was prying on it it wouldn't stress the lines too much.

It took a bit of work of trying to pry up the block and drilling to finally remove it. Since the block is aluminum and the screw was steel, my drill bit would wander quite a ways off from center. I ended up with a pretty big hole where that screw was, but it did not effect performance. I just replaced the screw and used a slightly larger washer under it's head.

Good luck - be patience. Don't damage the hard line bends too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom