AC conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings cruiser heads, I am new to this site! I was wondering if anyone has done a clean AC conversion to a Canadian BJ70. I really hope that someone can help me with this!

I would like to give a special thanks out to Rob at raddcruisers.com and Dan at 4wheelauto.com for all there help and support during my conversion to the diesel world.

Many Regards
Colby

One shop I'm aware of having done this conversion on a Canadian BJ70 is Mudrak Custom Cruisers in Sonoma, CA. (707) 996-5272. "Dave" on this board also had done one but it was a GCC spec FJ75, probably very similar.

Dave

I'll be pulling out the AC in my HZJ73 soon.
Havent decided whether to keep the ac compressor and use it for a onboard air compressor though.

Robert VanLane
80 Hilux
90 HZJ73

Hey Colby, I think that Vintage Air in your part of the country should be able to help you out.

If not the guys at G&S Crusiers might be able to source one for you in Japan out of a wreck.

Hope your having a blast with the BJ, still working on the turbo kits.

Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

What does Colby mean by "a clean AC conversion". I had my original unit upgraded to run on newer style refridgerant and it works ok. Last week when it was 42c or 107F it kept the interior temp to about 25 -27 measured with my my phone thermometer.
They told me when it was upgraded that it would be about 95% as good as the old system.
I got a good used japanese import compressor as mine was worn out.The aircon man says the landcruiser type compressors are common on many japanese cars and you only need to find one with the right serial numbers and fit the landcruiser compressor clutch to it .

two main issues,
#1, the evaporator case is unique to a left hand drive model, so nothing from a right hand drive (aussie, japanese) will work.
#2, the a/c compressor bracket is discontinued new from Toyota.

more minor:
you will need:
condenser (radiator looking thing), OEM are best
switch (12v in you case)
compressor with 12 v clutch
third pulley for harmonic balancer
lines etc and some sort of idle up device for engine at low speeds.

There are two in Northern California, Icky's 1985 (12v) and Bret T's 1986 (24v) which Icky converted for Bret. About $2,000 US in parts. G&S can get them, but specify LHD evap case and try to find used (3B or 13B-T) engine parts. Best of luck, and use R-12, cools light years better than 134A.

[quote author=rick_d link=board=21;threadid=11850;start=msg108791#msg108791 date=1077509378]
There are two in Northern California, Icky's 1985 (12v) and Bret T's 1986 (24v) which Icky converted for Bret. About $2,000 US in parts. G&S can get them, but specify LHD evap case and try to find used (3B or 13B-T) engine parts.
[/quote]

Icky had the LHD evap case sent from Japan by airmail. The postage was outrageous! The evap case at that time was not toooooo bad.

G&S will have all the forward parts that you need, everything from the firewall out. They will have compressors and brackets but they will be bolted to engines and not that mobile.

FWIW I priced out an ND compressor for a 1HZ here a few months ago and it was something like $2000. So if you have one and it works take good care of it. Used ones are pretty easy to get but it is a crap shoot if the pulley will fit your application.

Rick are the brackets de-listed only for the 3B or for the 13B-T as well? Want me to run a part number? Mine were available and not too bad price wise.

I have a aftermarket on my BJ60, blows cold air ten times better than my factory HJ60 did. The pump is almost twice as big and works fantastic.

We drove through Kelowna one summer with the kids and with the air cranked it was tolerable in our HJ, the air on my BJ will get the cab down right cold.

Check Vintage, mine was installed by a local RV shop and it kicks butt!!!!!!!!!

Rob

Brett faxed me all the info and OEM part #'s for a 24v 70 and prices at the time. Pretty expensive but he said he liked it and it's all OEM so it's a clean as stock. The most difficult parts like rick said are the evap case and a few small things which could be fabbed or I think at least used from a 60 and fabbed to fit. I actually called a few dealers in AUS that were helpful looking up a few parts for me. I think all you would need to do is ask them to ship it AUS postal air mail which is very reasonable. I haven't looked into the electrical part #'s for 12v yet. Too many other things going on and it's not that hot yet here ;)

Wes

The toughest things to find for the A/C install in my '82 BJ60 were the compressor mount (I got it from Greg and Sheldon at GS Cruiser parts and they sold it only because it did not have a compressor on it so don't count on that as a reliable source unless they are getting lots of engines without the compressors). The A/C amplifier is also tough to find but may be available new but the local dealer could not come up with a part number.
You may also have a problem with the A/C compressor pulley but the FJ60 and the 3B use the same one as far as I can tell. I got the A/C setup from an '83 FJ60 and the compressor pulley, when mounted on the compressor mount from GS Cruisers, lined up perfectly!
The A/C installed on the 3B's here in Canada did not have an "Idle up device" consequently I don't either and quite frankly it is not necessary as the 3B has gobs of low end torque. I can't even notice a drop in RPM when the A/C is switched on, and yes it does work well!

Many thanks to all who have helped me with this issue except for roscoooofj73 "what don't you understand about clean???" This ain't rocket science. All questions have been answered. Thanks again gentleman. I'm sorry rosco if I have attacked your intellectual deficency, oops is my spelling wrong?

88 Colby

[quote author=colby1979 link=board=21;threadid=11850;start=msg112141#msg112141 date=1077954917]
Many thanks to all who have helped me with this issue except for roscoooofj73 "what don't you understand about clean???" This ain't rocket science. All questions have been answered. Thanks again gentleman. I'm sorry rosco if I have attacked your intellectual deficency, oops is my spelling wrong?

88 Colby
[/quote]

Keep in mind RoscoFJ73 is an Aussie and may not be familiar with the American colloquial term "clean". His question was rather "what does Colby mean by . . . "

Dave

[quote author=roscoFJ73 link=board=21;threadid=11850;start=msg108429#msg108429 date=1077422749]
What does Colby mean by "a clean AC conversion". I had my original unit upgraded to run on newer style refridgerant and it works ok. Last week when it was 42c or 107F it kept the interior temp to about 25 -27 measured with my my phone thermometer.
They told me when it was upgraded that it would be about 95% as good as the old system.
I got a good used japanese import compressor as mine was worn out.The aircon man says the landcruiser type compressors are common on many japanese cars and you only need to find one with the right serial numbers and fit the landcruiser compressor clutch to it .
[/quote]

Here in North America we sometimes use the word "clean" to refer to a setup that approaches the look of stock, or that could easily be mistaken for stock. Certainly not something that was obviously created in someones basement or by an amateur mechanic.
I'm sure your thoughts were in the direction of the cleanliness of the interior of the system. Also important, but not what was refered to here ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom