AC Controller dead? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

flyinbrian

@brian_and_the_car
Threads
Hi guys,

Looks like I have the dreaded LX450 a/c controller failure after it became a fishbowl due to leaky sunroof drains or windshield...

Any leads on an affordable replacement?

Denso part 88650-60211

Thx!

Have you removed it and opened it up? Its possible that it just needs dried out and cleaned up. A windshield leak will drip on this and cause corrosion.
I drilled a hole in the bottom of the enclosure to keep water from pooling inside. More importantly, I resolved my windshield leak with the FIRETRUCK method.

I don't have a LX but am curious what this control box looks like. I assume it's located in the kick panel and get doused with water from clogged sunroof drain hoses? Again, just curious!

Its a white housing located above the drivers right knee up under the dash. I suspect a windshield leak causes most of the damage. Its the brains behind the automatic climate control. Its not just for the LX.... the LCs with auto climate also have one. Its officially called the AC Automatic Amplifier....not to be confused with the AC System Amplifier or the AC Amplifier!

Have you removed it and opened it up? Its possible that it just needs dried out and cleaned up. A windshield leak will drip on this and cause corrosion.
I drilled a hole in the bottom of the enclosure to keep water from pooling inside. More importantly, I resolved my windshield leak with the FIRETRUCK method.
Yeah, unfortunately I did pull it, cleaned it, hair dried it, the whole 9, still nothing.

It amazes me these are discontinued.

I don't have a LX but am curious what this control box looks like. I assume it's located in the kick panel and get doused with water from clogged sunroof drain hoses? Again, just curious!
Yeah, what retlaw says below. From all my research, this is the main failure point and once wet/fried it makes all your hvac buttons stop working.

It's about the size of a cigarettes' box if you can remember what they look like.

You're amazed that a part used on a relatively small number of 25 year old vehicles is discontinued?
What else amazes you?
I wish I could say "sarcasm on a car forum by someone from NJ" but no, that doesn't amaze me.

Kidding!

Are there any other symptoms besides the buttons not working? Yesterday for the first time, I had a hard time pushing the AC button in. Like it was hard/stuck. But it's also the first time I've driven the 80 in 100+ degrees and everything did turn on and (eventually) cool. I didn't know this was a possible failure, haven't looked in that kick panel but Firetruck mod was one of the first things I did a few years ago. Might be time to re-do or just re-install the whole windshield.

So it WAS the a/c amplifier under the drivers side. I was able to source one and although expensive, I plugged it in and BOOM! Everything worked again!

Now, to clean sunroof drains and make sure the windshield is sealed. It all started with the a/c amplifier filling up with water after a heavy rain.

Also, I may have sourced a place that refurbishes auto electronics, so I'm going to check with them and see if they can rebuild the original at an affordable rate then I'll at least have a spare!

My LC has auto climate control. i have working fan and vent position buttons but no auto or AC buttons work. Is this AC auto amplifir the likely culprit too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom