AC compressor running HOT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to run down the AC issues in my '86. I've replaced the expansion valve, the evap core, all the seals and converted to R134a. In looking for a leak I put in some dye, and ~45psi of compressed air to get the compressor to turn on.

I ran the compressor for a few minutes and found the high pressure side to be hot. Real Hot. 300* hot vs 180* on the low pressure port.

Is that right? Seems problematic to me, but hoping wiser minds know for sure.

The AC section in the body FSM is exhaustive — its huge. Lots and lots of detail.
High pressure outlet of all AC is always hotter than hell, though I don't know if 300° is within normal limits.
Also the compressor is in the blazing hot engine bay getting blow torched by the radiator fan - so it's not like it has a way to cool off.

Since the AC section has an excellent troubleshooting table, I'd just go by that.
If Toyota didn't mention it, it's likely not something to worry about... assuming that there's oil circulating in the system...

My compressor gets hot when overcharged and undercharged. The correct freon level is pretty important. I'm chasing a leak too, and it's been frustrating the crap out of me, . New shaft seal, expansion valve, drier, o-rings. New crimped rubber hoses are next.

*note, when my a/c is running properly the back of the compressor is just warm after 5 mins. Too much freon or too little and its HOT, especially too much freon.

@Seth_O If you haven't replaced the shaft seal, leave the car overnight then rotate the comp clutch 90 degrees and look for oil pooling .​

Last edited:
Perhaps I misunderstood, but you are running the compressor on air not refrigerant?
If that's the case, there's no heat transfer taking place and the suction side of the compressor, which would normally be receiving cool/cold refrigerant is ingesting hot air which would explain the compressor being hot.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but you are running the compressor on air not refrigerant?
If that's the case, there's no heat transfer taking place and the suction side of the compressor, which would normally be receiving cool/cold refrigerant is ingesting hot air which would explain the compressor being hot.
That makes sense to me. I'll check tomorrow on the compressor. Its unknown age and condition.

Success!!!! leaking near the back of compressor. Bad rubber seal I presume. Not a common leak area, FINALLY found the pesky leak . Was about to drive into a lake and look for bubbles.
Sorry for the thread hijack Seth_O . Soapy water and spray bottle found the leak.

I took a look tonight in the dark with the black light. Didnt really find anything condemning. Really dont want to get into the evap again......

Well, finally found my leak.

20210816_182254.jpg

Dangit. I'm assuming that's not serviceable and means I need a new compressor.

That's just a bad big rubber o-ring looking at that pic. Mine is leaking at the other end due to the other big o-ring.
I'm going to replace the o-rings myself . A new compressor? yegads have you seen the price of these? Assuming it's a 10p15c.

Spook50 has a good thead for these comps.

Last edited:
That's just a bad big rubber o-ring looking at that pic. Mine is leaking at the other end due to the other big o-ring.
I'm going to replace the o-rings myself . A new compressor? yegads have you seen the price of these? Assuming it's a 10p15c.
Any idea what size ring it needs? I dont know that I've ever seen a viton ring that size. I'm guessing buna wouldn't work with the compressor oil?

Do you happen to have a PN or source?
I have seen them on ebay. I'm in australia but they would be available from ebay u.s. I presume.
If the o-rings look ok they might reseal with something like LOXEAL or the like. Better to get new ones preferably.

Make sure it's a 10p15c. before you search for the o-rings.

I have seen them on ebay. I'm in australia but they would be available from ebay u.s. I presume.
If the o-rings look ok they might reseal with something like LOXEAL or the like. Better to get new ones preferably.
Cheers mate, I found a reseal kit on rockauto, complete with shaft seals and all. At $15 it beats the heck out of a new compressor for sure.

Pulled my compressor apart and found bad scoring on the pistons and bores. Strangely it was working fine. Luckily I had another comp in a pieces with perfect bores and pistons, but it's crankshaft was badly pitted from surface rust. So I made a good one by mixing parts from the 2. Hopefully it works ok. I really don't feel like paying $1100 AU for a new one.

Pulled my compressor apart and found bad scoring on the pistons and bores. Strangely it was working fine. Luckily I had another comp in a pieces with perfect bores and pistons, but it's crankshaft was badly pitted from surface rust. So I made a good one by mixing parts from the 2. Hopefully it works ok. I really don't feel like paying $1100 AU for a new one.
Hopefully that works out for you. I need to pull mine so I am ready to rebuild when the kit gets here.

I picked up a flusher off AMZ and a gallon of fluid from oreilly. It wasnt too expensive and should flush all the junk out. I'm hoping.

My DENSO japan dealer sells this compressor NEW japan made

NOT reman .

clutch kit is available new also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom