AC Clutch Blowing Fuse, Making Noises (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have figured out that it is most likely my AC clutch that is causing my 10 amp guage fuse to keep blowing. At least one of my engine accessory pullies has been making some noise for a little while (before it started popping the fuse). Could this squeaking be from the AC clutch or maybe is it from the compressor? There is a bunch of clutch dust or something around the AC pully. There is a chance that it is another pully making the noise, but the alternator is fairly new. Is it possible that replacing the AC clutch will fix the squeaking or should I be prepared to replace a bunch of engine accessory pullies too? Thanks

Probably worth pulling all of your drive belts and hand spinning each pulley/component in order to get an idea if any are rough/worn/squeaking/grinding.

The alternator and A/C compressor sometimes will not exhibit problems until a 'load' is applied but everything else should be readily apparent.

Fuse blowing will be from a 'short' someplace or electrical overload.

Where is the best place to purchase an AC clutch?

IF your compressor is the original or very old DON'T put a clutch on it. The cost will be over 1/2 what a new compressor would run. You'd be putting a new clutch on a worn compressor. Have you narrowed your problem down to the clutch or are you just 'guessing'?

IF your compressor is the original or very old DON'T put a clutch on it. The cost will be over 1/2 what a new compressor would run. You'd be putting a new clutch on a worn compressor. Have you narrowed your problem down to the clutch or are you just 'guessing'?
I unplugged the wire going to the clutch and it fixed the fuse blowing. My AC was intermittent. I am 99% sure the clutch will fix all my issues. I am not sure of the age of the compressor, it may be original..?..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom