ABS Sensor Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1997 year 80 series in need of a front driver side ABS sensor. I had a pretty serious failure with a caliper losing its bolts and getting dislodged to underneath the axle. I suspect that the previous owner didn't torque down the caliper bolts very well. In any case, it ruined the ABS sensor in the process or snapping the brake line, etc. I went to get a new sensor, expecting anywhere between $20 - $70. Unfortunately, Toyota only sells the complete kits with both front sensors, wiring, harnesses, etc for ~$1500. That seemed completely outrageous to me. I just need the sensor, which is essentially just a magnet that senses metal passing by. I looked around for aftermarket and used gear, but the cheapest stuff I can find is still >$700. I can find newer model sensors for $20, which is frustrating. Also, from eyeballing one from my buddy's 1993, it looks like they changed the design slightly in 1994 or 1995 from a single magnet to two.

Does anyone know of any compatible sensors? Any suggestions for alternatives or anything cheaper than a multi-hundred dollar sensor?
Land Cruiser - 77C2B9A4-4E2E-4B5E-9EDE-0683B3876769.JPG
Land Cruiser - 36197D9B-776F-4047-829D-D4112EC957A8.JPG
Land Cruiser - 4C3E033E-F677-415D-8B47-DFD4E4F87259.JPG

Ho Lee Fuc! I bet that made a clunk and a half.
Wish I had more to offer than my condolences.

Have you reached out through the want adds to any of the peeps parting out rigs?

Is the sensor itself damaged? Can you salvage the harness by splicing in new wiring to replace the damaged section?
I've done this on my '97 after losing a knuckle while wheeling. It's been working fine for years with the repair.

If any of the sensor body is in tact, meaning it will bolt to the knuckle to keep me from losing grease I’ll trade you my working sensor. My ABS was deleted and I’m only using the sensor to keep the hole plugged.

If any of the sensor body is in tact, meaning it will bolt to the knuckle to keep me from losing grease I’ll trade you my working sensor. My ABS was deleted and I’m only using the sensor to keep the hole plugged.
I wish that I did have the old sensor. I had left my cruiser with my mechanic while I had to be out of the state for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, my mechanic lost or tossed the old sensor. He told me about the ridiculous cost of replacing it and decided not to do anything with it until I got back in town. He told me that I called multiple places and some local junk yards, but no one had replacements that were cheaper and those sensors disappear quickly on junked cruisers.

This is a perfect example of the difference between a knowledgeable land cruiser mechanic and one who is not. Most experienced members here know the value of that abs harness and would never just lose it or throw it away. It literally costs more than the other damage you sustained when the brake caliper let loose.

How about buying the Wit's End plug kit, send it to @b16 , and trade it for his working sensor.

This is a perfect example of the difference between a knowledgeable land cruiser mechanic and one who is not. Most experienced members here know the value of that abs harness and would never just lose it or throw it away. It literally costs more than the other damage you sustained when the brake caliper let loose.

How about buying the Wit's End plug kit, send it to @b16 , and trade it for his working sensor.
I would do this. :).

My ABS pump and harness are coming out and going up for sale. But I want to keep it all together and complete. Lmk if you’re interested.
1663816773473.jpeg

1663816801975.jpeg

I needed to change one of these, used a 2nd hand unit, they're not very complicated and as long as it looks okay should work fine. That's assuming the harness didn't get ripped at the same time, in which case you should probably just bight the bullet. Check Partsouq and Amayama for the part number. I can get the full harness in the UK for £522 delivered.

Also check your calliper bolt holes in the knuckle, if they're knackered you're looking at a new knuckle

Do you still have a sensor? My birf blew apart a couple weeks ago on the trail and it apparently took the bottom part of my sensor with it. If you are interested in this piece I'd love to swap for a good sensor! Let me know if you need more pics. It's a 96 model.

IMG_4690.jpg

Checking the classifieds or used parts house (CruiserParts.net, Specter Off-Road, Man A Fre, Classic Cruisers, etc) would be my first thought. The front ABS hole can be plugged with a 20mm freeze plug and the rears with 17mm freeze plugs.

Do you still have a sensor? My birf blew apart a couple weeks ago on the trail and it apparently took the bottom part of my sensor with it. If you are interested in this piece I'd love to swap for a good sensor! Let me know if you need more pics. It's a 96 model.

View attachment 3181997
looks like there is enough meat left to plug my hole. send me a DM and we can work it out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom