About to get a dual swing out, what side for the tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tdtp.org
I am going to get a rear dual swing out built by Sean. I am wondering what side to put the spare on, I was thinking drivers side, but for some reason the passenger side looks more aesthetically pleasing.

To further my inquiry I went to Slee's website and looked at their bumpers and all of them had the tire mounted on the passenger side.

Please help!

Pass side, then you don't have to swing your tire out in traffic if you get a flat on the highway. Also will enable to you get a JDM license plate bracket if that is something you want.

The sidewalk side. It's safer. You will be working there once in a while and it's no fun with traffic zooming by.

Shambles

sidwalk side is nice, but it may block your view in the rear.

Just thinking, If I had a flat or something wouldnt I take the tire off the swing out before opening into traffic?

Dont want to argue and open to all suggestions, I am just wanting to make sure I am happy with my decision.

Its completely personal preference. I went passenger for the reason already stated. But like you said you can pull it off before opening if you want. But you'll probably already have it open to fetch the tool needed to pull it off;)

I also generally access mine from the driver's side so its nice to swing the longer arm away from me with my right hand. If you left handed you may like it on the drivers side.

Its completely personal preference. I went passenger for the reason already stated. But like you said you can pull it off before opening if you want. But you'll probably already have it open to fetch the tool needed to pull it off;)

I also generally access mine from the driver's side so its nice to swing the longer arm away from me with my right hand. If you left handed you may like it on the drivers side.

can you post a picture?

It's a personal preference thing. Passenger side is a bit safer if you are opening it by the side of the road. Added benefit, if you leave the plate in the stock location, the tire blocks photo radar.;p

Just thinking, If I had a flat or something wouldnt I take the tire off the swing out before opening into traffic?

Dont want to argue and open to all suggestions, I am just wanting to make sure I am happy with my decision.

Yes, you'll take the tire off with it closed, but you still have to open the swing out to get in the back.

Um remember that JDM cars drive on the right hand side so the tire is on the drivers side on them and they open into traffic too. I plan to put mine on the drivers side so i do not block the view out the back when shoulder checking.

Its all personal choice though.

Yep, mine is on the drivers side (right side) in my truck. If I had a LHD vehicle, I'd want the tire on the left too.

Don't forget that some folks put gas cans on their swing outs, and many then want the cans on the same side as the gas tank filler, so they can easily siphon gas from the cans directly into the tank without removing the cans. Of course, that then puts the spare tire on the US PS.

I agree with all above. I would only add that weight of that tire moved to PS might help offset any "lean" that seems to be natural with our 80's......? I am going with PS myself.

can you post a picture?

Here you go
P1010236.jpg

I am going to get a rear dual swing out built by Sean. I am wondering what side to put the spare on, I was thinking drivers side, but for some reason the passenger side looks more aesthetically pleasing.

To further my inquiry I went to Slee's website and looked at their bumpers and all of them had the tire mounted on the passenger side.

Please help!

Here is mine on the DS...
photo-2.jpg

Last edited:
Here you go

THat's how mine is, only the shorter swingout is on the PS. The only reason I did it that way is that the license plate is less obstructed.

Anyone get complaints for the spare covering part of the tag?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom