About to buy 97LC... One last question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all;

There is a 97LC with 125K miles (LOCKED!). Very good condition inside and out. Also a person who's selling this LC has pretty good reputation around this area as a used vehicle dealer... I am about to purchase this one this weekend. But only thing that I would really like to clear is that I've noticed that there's coolant leak (green crust) where block meets the head on the right side to an engine(Headgasket). Should this be a show stopper? I've already passes couple of LCs in the past and I would readly like to lock-down on this one... afterall, it's also LOCKED!

Thanks in advance.

hkimsoft said:
Hello all;

There is a 97LC with 125K miles (LOCKED!). Very good condition inside and out. Also a person who's selling this LC has pretty good reputation around this area as a used vehicle dealer... I am about to purchase this one this weekend. But only thing that I would really like to clear is that I've noticed that there's coolant leak (green crust) where block meets the head on the right side to an engine(Headgasket). Should this be a show stopper? I've already passes couple of LCs in the past and I would readly like to lock-down on this one... afterall, it's also LOCKED!

Thanks in advance.

that does indeed sound like potential head gasket trouble. Christo and/or Robbie had discussed this someplace with some photos and it sure sounded not good.
If the price reflects a headgasket job to be done this may be OK, but caution sure seems in order.

hkimsoft said:
Hello all;

Thanks in advance.

A picture would tell us more, but it sounds suspiciously like a headgasket failure.
I'd pass if you have any doubts.

How much $$$, I would see if the guy would agree to taking any major repairs that the dealer / independent say are required off the price. If a comp check shows a blown HG them I believe he must inform any other potental buyers. Front axle service would be another question but the real question can't be answered with out $$$

hkimsoft said:
Hello all;
only thing that I would really like to clear is that I've noticed that there's coolant leak (green crust) where block meets the head on the right side to an engine(Headgasket). Should this be a show stopper?

ANY coolant leak should be fully indentified before buying. You do not want a truck that has been excessively or frequently overheated. I would get a professional evaluation and estimate before buying it.

What did the King sing??? "Only Fools Rush In."

Asking price is around $15K. And he seems to be very firm with his price and of course "AS IS". I've waited for about a year and half for a right rig and I don't mind waiting little longer for the right one... It will also need the front axle service soon. Thanks all for quick responses... If you know of anyone with a dependable rig, let me know...

Did you try the "bubbles in the coolant reservoir test"? Apparently a sure fired way of determining a head gasket leak/failure. As mentioned, you need to find the source of this leak. If it is indeed a HG failure, I don't think you want to mess with it, good price or not.

Jumping on what seems to be a good purchase, may lead to headaches you didn't bargain for.

:beer:
Rookie2

hkimsoft said:
Asking price is around $15K. And he seems to be very firm with his price and of course "AS IS". I've waited for about a year and half for a right rig and I don't mind waiting little longer for the right one... It will also need the front axle service soon. Thanks all for quick responses... If you know of anyone with a dependable rig, let me know...

Too much $$ IMO even if there were no leaks. I paid $12K earlier this year for my 40th with lockers and 125K miles. Had to fly east to get it, but it was worth the plane ticket.

No bubbles when I observed it. Coolant leak seemed while ago because it was crusted(dry) on the block. I would guess it's been overheated atleast once in the past...

hkimsoft said:
No bubbles when I observed it. Coolant leak seemed while ago because it was crusted(dry) on the block. I would guess it's been overheated atleast once in the past...

I would have it properly diagnosed. You could be facing BIG BUCKS for repairs if you had to pay someone to fix a blown headgasket, warped head, etc. If the seller is so sure its worth $16K, tell him to put it on eBay.

I got my 1996 with Lockers, mileage 130K for $10,550 on Ebay less than a month ago. Indeed it is hard to find one at that price, I know looked for over a year for one myself. Better get it checked out before thinking about a purchase. I did...

Grouseman

Yes, just like it but in green... I think I am going to pass this one and let the search for the right rig continue...

Grouseman said:
I got my 1996 with Lockers, mileage 130K for $10,550 on Ebay less than a month ago. Indeed it is hard to find one at that price, I know looked for over a year for one myself. Better get it checked out before thinking about a purchase. I did...

Grouseman

How did you get it checked on ebay? in person or did you hire someone (ebay offers vehicle inspection for $99)?

At 145K "as is" with signs of overheating he is asking way too much. $10k would be reasonable. I just got a 97 with 106K and Toyota dealer warranty for $13,500 and in expensive San Fransisco! There are plenty out there - keep rolling till you find a good one at KKB private party valuation.

hkimsoft said:
Yes, just like it but in green... I think I am going to pass this one and let the search for the right rig continue...

Coolant should be red! :D

Also, IMHO that is too much $ for that rig with that many miles AND a possible head gasket job needed! That is of course, my .02

Glad to see ya passed on that rig ... there well be lots more to chose from.... 15k seems way to high...

If you change your mind and go for this one make sure you get the keys so you can unlock it. jes kidding good luck.

hkimsoft said:
How did you get it checked on ebay? in person or did you hire someone (ebay offers vehicle inspection for $99)?

Kim,

Well I asked Cdan who on this board was in Chicago, he gave me two names. Call the first one happened to be GUMBY and he checked it out for me. Then he did some preventive maintenance work for me also. Great guy...

Grouseman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom