About 50 Gs eh? 2020 Taco Pro... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
50 grand...Tacoma. Been considering getting out of my 80 and gx470 and picking up something newer. Both my rigs are in great shape, but I'm getting older and tired of fiddling/obsessing. Taco seems like a good truck, but damn! So 50 large is what I'm considering dumping into a new Taco pro...how awesome are these trucks? 50 Gs awesome...?

50 grand...Tacoma. Been considering getting out of my 80 and gx470 and picking up something newer. Both my rigs are in great shape, but I'm getting older and tired of fiddling/obsessing. Taco seems like a good truck, but damn! So 50 large is what I'm considering dumping into a new Taco pro...how awesome are these trucks? 50 Gs awesome...?

Amazing - We are in the same boat.. I was just looking at the 2020's and really considering one as I want a true camper experience and I'm not ready for the Conversion Van.

My 80 is just perfect and I was going to take over the wifes 2018 200 series, but I'm having a hard time committing. So, I'm thinking the 2020 and a Alu-Cab Khaya Camper with a mild build.

I'm never going to wheel my 80 the way its needs to be wheeled and the 200 still has no option for a camper other than sending it to Germany for a Maltec conversion... Then its not a daily driver anymore.

Ive seen video of Mountain State Overland installing the Khaya into a Tacoma in 10 minutes using the 4 removable jack stands. Daily driver during the summer and then run the camper in the Tacoma during fall and winter season. I don't know -

I do think the adjustable seats in the 2020's is a must for my back problems. I also think the 2" lift would be just enough for me and having a factory warranty with a lifted truck is a plus. Maybe go manual trans and save $2,500? Buy out of state and save another $2,500?

Good luck! Keep us posted.

JFG

Amazing - We are in the same boat.. I was just looking at the 2020's and really considering one as I want a true camper experience and I'm not ready for the Conversion Van.

My 80 is just perfect and I was going to take over the wifes 2018 200 series, but I'm having a hard time committing. So, I'm thinking the 2020 and a Alu-Cab Khaya Camper with a mild build.

I'm never going to wheel my 80 the way its needs to be wheeled and the 200 still has no option for a camper other than sending it to Germany for a Maltec conversion... Then its not a daily driver anymore.

Ive seen video of Mountain State Overland installing the Khaya into a Tacoma in 10 minutes using the 4 removable jack stands. Daily driver during the summer and then run the camper in the Tacoma during fall and winter season. I don't know -

I do think the adjustable seats in the 2020's is a must for my back problems. I also think the 2" lift would be just enough for me and having a factory warranty with a lifted truck is a plus. Maybe go manual trans and save $2,500? Buy out of state and save another $2,500?

Good luck! Keep us posted.

JFG
Watched a couple vidoes on the Khaya camper...very nice setup! Might have to go that route as it seems to be a lot of utility for the price.

Watched a couple vidoes on the Khaya camper...very nice setup! Might have to go that route as it seems to be a lot of utility for the price.
Yes I agree.

If you decide to go that route, do not get the TRD PRO as adding the OME 95 Leafs on the rear and Firestone bags will result in the Fox shocks not having the required length.

I spoke with Rin at OK 4WD this week and the best setup would be the TRD Off road with access cab with 6' bed. If you want a crew cab and 6' bed that adds 13" overall to the wheelbase. There are people doing these in the 5' bed, but it looks like the camper is falling out.. Just not the look I'd want.

With the dealerships first offer for the TRD Off Road I was at $41K all in so the difference between the PRO and Offroad gives you a nice set of BP-51's and some new tires.

I will tell you that the new power seat in the 2020 made this for me. I just cant do the non height adjustable in th 2019's no mater how good the price. I must have sat in both for 30 minutes today... The new transmission programming was also very nice. FWIW.....

john

Yes I agree.

If you decide to go that route, do not get the TRD PRO as adding the OME 95 Leafs on the rear and Firestone bags will result in the Fox shocks not having the required length.

I spoke with Rin at OK 4WD this week and the best setup would be the TRD Off road with access cab with 6' bed. If you want a crew cab and 6' bed that adds 13" overall to the wheelbase. There are people doing these in the 5' bed, but it looks like the camper is falling out.. Just not the look I'd want.

With the dealerships first offer for the TRD Off Road I was at $41K all in so the difference between the PRO and Offroad gives you a nice set of BP-51's and some new tires.

I will tell you that the new power seat in the 2020 made this for me. I just cant do the non height adjustable in th 2019's no mater how good the price. I must have sat in both for 30 minutes today... The new transmission programming was also very nice. FWIW.....

john
Ahhh...I was wondering why the builders used the Tacoma with access cab. That might not work for me as I roll with a family of 4. I'd have to get the long bed, which will negate some of the off road ability. Never a perfect solution...

Ahhh...I was wondering why the builders used the Tacoma with access cab. That might not work for me as I roll with a family of 4. I'd have to get the long bed, which will negate some of the off road ability. Never a perfect solution...

Most I see are with the double cab. Break over is just a bit longer and for the trails most take these rigs a double with 6' would be very capable.

If you don't mind 12" of camper hangover, you can do a double cab with short bed and have the same dimensions as the access with long bed.

Personal choice on look I'd say.

J

IDK, $50K of Taco better be at 0% APR, and even then - really?

I would rather have my pick of extremely quality used ‘13+ 200’s & buy a little trailer if you need the bed space for hauling things.

IDK what the Taco gets in real world MPG’s, but having the 5.7 / 3UR HP when needed sure is handy.

I drive a 07 ORDC. I just had a 19 ORDC for rental on the last trip I was on. They are the same truck only mine doesn’t have all the bs technology and lipstick on it. The 19 also has a smaller engine with more horsepower (can’t feel it) and a transmission that shifts ALL the time. I was driving down the street, like 45 mph, the sheet metal is so thin on the hood it was wobbling In the wind. I was thinking the other day that if I had to get a new truck I would probably get a super low mile 2015 ORDC. I would not buy a third generation. Or buy a beater and wait for a total redesign. Which would probably be a mistake too. It‘s a tough call, but I was not impressed with the 2019. And 50k for a midsized truck! F**k that.... But I do like the new colors though.

I thought I wanted a 3rd Gen until I drove one and read the reviews, towing in particular. I ended up buying a new '16 Tundra but sold it after a couple of years because it was just too big for me; towed great but just too big. I replaced the Tundra with a '14 2nd Gen DCOR and couldn't be happier.

I thought I wanted a 3rd Gen until I drove one and read the reviews, towing in particular. I ended up buying a new '16 Tundra but sold it after a couple of years because it was just too big for me; towed great but just too big. I replaced the Tundra with a '14 2nd Gen DCOR and couldn't be happier.
The reviews on Tacomaworld are incredibly mixed. Some love it, some hate it...hard to decipher fact from fction sometimes on that site. The initial negative reviews are what has kept me out of a 3rd gen since it came out. I was thinking used Tundra as well. I had one of those when it first came out in 2007. Fantastic comfort and power, but just too big. If I'm dropping 40-50K on a truck it needs to be just right in most areas. I've even started looking at differrent brands lately. The Chevy ZR2 has had my eye since it came out...this 2021 looks pretty nice!

I drive a 07 ORDC. I just had a 19 ORDC for rental on the last trip I was on. They are the same truck only mine doesn’t have all the bs technology and lipstick on it. The 19 also has a smaller engine with more horsepower (can’t feel it) and a transmission that shifts ALL the time. I was driving down the street, like 45 mph, the sheet metal is so thin on the hood it was wobbling In the wind. I was thinking the other day that if I had to get a new truck I would probably get a super low mile 2015 ORDC. I would not buy a third generation. Or buy a beater and wait for a total redesign. Which would probably be a mistake too. It‘s a tough call, but I was not impressed with the 2019. And 50k for a midsized truck! F**k that.... But I do like the new colors though.
The 2020 has better mapping. mine rarely downshifts. Honestly I love it. The OR is the best deal in my opinion.

I don’t think I can bring myself to buy a Chevy or Ford. They just don’t age well. Their interiors look, feel and sound like junk after only a couple years.

The 2020 has better mapping. mine rarely downshifts. Honestly I love it. The OR is the best deal in my opinion.
Does the hood wobble when your driving down the road?

Does the hood wobble when your driving down the road?
Does the hood wobble? Not that I have seen. The truck is amazing. I have zero complaints. I traded my 2013 cement trail teams FJ for it and couldn't be happier. Great mileage, good power, comfortable and feels solid.

IDK what the Taco gets in real world MPG’s, but having the 5.7 / 3UR HP when needed sure is handy

im usually seeing between 15-19 mpg on trucks that come in the shop. im sure that you could do better on a highway run, but I have no idea how these trucks are being driven to get the numbers that they have so that's just a guess

I've been looking at buying a Taco too. It very confusing to navigate the Toyota web site.

In an ideal world, I'd want a Quad cab, 6 foot bed, and manual transmission. But it looks like the best I can do is Quad cab, 6 foot bed and autobox in the OffRoad. Does that sound right? The Manual transmission can only be had in the Offroad or Pro Quad cab with a short bed.

It has made me look at the Chevy ZR2 2.8T for sure.

Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom