AAA or something else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
zot-art.com
So has any of the gang out there have something to say about AAA or other roadside assistance programs?

I'm thinking about doing something for the family and fleet.:hmm:

My wife got the membership for the family fleet...When I travel I'm grateful it's there. Saves me the shout out to this group...I know you guys would do a good job too...

AAA?
And have you had to use it at all?

My wife got the membership for the family fleet...When I travel I'm grateful it's there. Saves me the shout out to this group...I know you guys would do a good job too...

I am a member of the CAA.

I joined about 20 years ago when we were going on a road trip down the west coast to LA and then back up through NV and UT.

I got it for the trip-tics and the security if something went wrong.

I maintain it at $140 a year for me, my wife and one son.

My wife regularly locks the keys in the car and my son's car is less than reliable. For the cost of a locksmith, a jump or a tow, I break even at least and some years come out ahead.

I will say that when my truck needed a jump this winter during a really cold spell, they had a waiting list about three days long and I ended up jumping it my self the next day.

We've had good luck with AAA+. Worked out well when my truck died on the western downslope of Vail Pass, or when Claudia's '40 puked its water pump last March.

I've used it once...not sure I got my money's worth but I see it as an insurance policy so I'm OK if I don't make it back every year.

We've had good luck with AAA+. Worked out well when my truck died on the western downslope of Vail Pass, or when Claudia's '40 puked its water pump last March.

in both cases, they came within the promised 45 minutes and towed the trucks exactly to where we wanted them to go - what more can you ask for

I just used AAA+ two weeks ago when I lost my t-case just outside of Camp Verde. Got a flatbed ride home (80 miles) no charge. The plus plan gets 100 miles towing for free. Don't forget you can get discounted hotels, flights, and car rentals with AAA as well. Most years I don't get all my money back in savings, but when the big one comes every couple years (like two weeks ago) it takes care of a couple year's worth of dues. We pay about $140/year for me and my wife.

I just used AAA+ two weeks ago when I lost my t-case just outside of Camp Verde. Got a flatbed ride home (80 miles) no charge. The plus plan gets 100 miles towing for free. Don't forget you can get discounted hotels, flights, and car rentals with AAA as well. Most years I don't get all my money back in savings, but when the big one comes every couple years (like two weeks ago) it takes care of a couple year's worth of dues. We pay about $140/year for me and my wife.

IIRC the AAA premium package(a few extra dollars) gets you 200 mile tows cost free.:idea:

I have the Premiem plan. I used AAA to have the LC towed to Camelback Toyota from Sedona. The $150 was better than the $600+ tow bill I would of had.

You might want to check out your insurance companies roadside asst plan. I have State Farm and while it won't tow me 150 miles, it is only about $3 per month.

I used to have the insurance company deal years ago, until I tried to use it - they had like a 4 hour wait

AAA has been my choice ever since

Thanks for all the inputs. To add to the insurance tow coverage side of things: I have State Farm, several vehicles covered. One is a 66 Mustang covered on a collectors policy. It recently needed a tow from the Pavilions with a busted starter.:mad: I submitted the bill for the 13 miles back to the house and my agents rep suggested that it may not be completely covered because It wasn't taken to the "nearest repair facility" as the "policy states".

:eek::rolleyes: Really?

10 pm on a Saturday night and I should have dropped my classic car at the local Pep Boys?

F.U.!

They paid the bill, but I was incensed that they would actually hint at not covering with that reasoning. I think the two classic policies with State Farm are going to be moved to someone who gets it, like Hagerty, Grundy Or American Collectors. Plus some AAA.

Some insurance companies will tow the vehcile to the nearest shop and others have a dollar limit, like $100 towards a tow per occurance. Anything more is out of pocket.

IMHO, it is all about the math and for me it doesn't add up.

If you travel a lot and stay at places the give a good AAA discount, it can pay. At the hotel that we like in San Juan it can pay in one stay, but last time got it much cheaper on Priceline so :meh:. In my experience, they ask to see the card at check in, so have booked, told them I have AAA, then renewed the AAA. They don't examine the card, so have gotten the discount on an expired card.:eek::hillbilly:

If you drive unreliable transportation, often need to be rescued, it can pay. In the years that I have had AAA have never used it, pretty good at self rescue. Tow service charge is negotiable, especially if you use smaller companies and are flexible on schedule, can get some pretty good deals, don't call the biggest add in the book/google. Plus there are a bunch of trailers in this group.:hillbilly:

For what I have paid to AAA could have paid for a couple of long tows. Between negotiating tow price and insurance coverage (often only covers part of what I want) I don't see the AAA need for my use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom