A442F Lost 3rd & Reverse (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1994 fzj80 with the A442f transmission. The truck has about 282K miles. One day driving down the road I notice the A/T Temp light come on, not bright but very faintly. I pull over and let the car idle for 10 minutes. The dipstick was reading low on fluid. It took 4 quarts to read at the proper level. I proceed down the road gently. 5 minutes or so later the truck is in 3rd and slip out of gear with the thud. I manually shifty to 2nd and drive back to my shop, where I discover I also don’t have reverse. No sound or anything, just zero engagement.

I checked the codes and got back a code 62 – this indicated a solenoid issue. I had previously replaced all 4 30K miles ago. BTW, I run Mobil1 ATF. I carefully drained pan into a clean container then strained everything I got through a fine high micron paint strainer. Everything was clean. I put the fluid in a clear cup next to some brand new fluid, very little difference and no funky smell either. I drop the pan, clean as a can be in there. I took some extra time to examine and also pulled the screen – again super clean. Installed new solenoids. When I started it up, there was no change, but reverse did catch a few times over a 10 minute period, but it would slip right back out. Next day try it again, everything works like there was never a problem. Strong pulling in reverse and all forward gears. I took it for a drive, all good. Today I drove it about 8 miles and the truck slipped out of 3rd again and I have no reverse gear again. Drove it back in 2nd gear.

My question is what are my next steps in diagnosing the problem? MY AT knowledge is limited so I don’t know if this is a valve body issue, a toque converter issue or an external electrical issue. I have the a442 manual and have read a good bit of it. Thanks for reading.

Also RIP Tools R Us, I've read so many of your posts.

If needed, there's a guy not far from you that may have a transmission for sale if needed.

@slow95z

Automatic transmissions are actual magic, and should only be worked on by wizards of the highest order.
From what I’ve heard replacements are the way to go.

So, just realized I had never followed up with an answer to how I fixed my problem. I’ll try to keep this short.

Although I had already replaced the solenoids, I swapped out a new set just to be 100% sure it wasn’t them. Every time the truck warmed up I could hear the solenoids clicking randomly. I got Rodney at Wholesale Transmissions in Australia to help me diagnose (via email) - he quickly determined it was outside of the transmission and likely electrical. He told me to let the truck warm up and then pull the control/signal plug to the tranny on the driver’s side. When I did that the clicking stopped immediately - I started with cleaning and inspecting the insides of the harness plugs, but that didn’t solve it. It turned out to be a burned out capacitor on the TCU. Please note when you pull and open that unit it will look insanely clean inside and the blown capacitor is hard to spot - mine was a small black mark on the board right where the capacitor is soldered to the board.

Ordered the replacement capacitor and fixed it for 20 cents and 10 minutes of work. Full disclosure, it sat in my shop for a very long time while I figured that out. It’s been perfect ever since.

The A442F has a nice diagnostic instruction in the FSM BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom