A440f shift issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 350 bolted to the stock auto. I've had it for around 5 years and ha e always had the same issue shifting down from 3rd to second. If the tranny is under any sort of load, on a hill or if you punch it to pass, it misses the ahift, revs the engine up to 4500 to 5000 before it engages second gear. For a long time I thought it was some kind of slip/wore out tranny.

I now have a different theory. It I am in a low speed situation, like turning to go up a hill in town, and I was in third, the tranny shifts to FIRST, very briefly, and then grabs second. Under light throttle this all happens pretty seamlessly. However under heavy throttle this gear "hunting" problem is drastically accentuated. So rather than an actual slip, I think the tranny is hunting for first instead of second coming down from third, and then shifts to second.

Curious if anyone else has ever had this problem. I have Rodney flushed this thing with redline ATF, cleaned filter, tried all manner of adjusting on the cable. The rest of the tranny operation is pretty normal.

I don't think it's a slip issue I think it's a shifting issue. I've learned how to drive it like this but it's still a huge annoyance at times.

Any suggesting are appreciated!

Check the spec for the kick-down cable and see if it's within tolerances. When I did my Rodney Flush, I also did the "party trick" it cured my issues. These have been my experiences... I'm sure a tranny guru can give other things to check.

Check the spec for the kick-down cable and see if it's within tolerances. When I did my Rodney Flush, I also did the "party trick" it cured my issues. These have been my experiences... I'm sure a tranny guru can give other things to check.

Ah, I've also tried the party trick. Cable adjustment is tricky as it is not the stock bracket that holds the cable and the kickdown cable is looped around a GM mount on the QJet carb. I just play with it until it shifts smooth. No matter what I can't get rid of the hunt for first though

I'm wondering how the stock auto is mounted to the v8. not sure that is a great combo.

how many miles on the auto?

I'm wondering how the stock auto is mounted to the v8. not sure that is a great combo.

how many miles on the auto?

Ita an advanced adapters as far as I can tell. I bought it already installed.

No I agree it's not a great combo but all other aspects of the trannies functionality seem to be ok, except for the one downshift.

I'm guessing all the miles are original at right around 190k. It may have been rebuilt sometime before I owned it but I doubt it.

When I did the flush... Man was it bad. The filter was almost so gummed up it wouldn't pass fluid. So granted, the flush helped a lot as far as operation but the crappy downshift has always been there.

Could something be plugged in the valve body? I just don't know much about auto trannies

Ita an advanced adapters as far as I can tell. I bought it already installed.

No I agree it's not a great combo but all other aspects of the trannies functionality seem to be ok, except for the one downshift.

I'm guessing all the miles are original at right around 190k. It may have been rebuilt sometime before I owned it but I doubt it.

When I did the flush... Man was it bad. The filter was almost so gummed up it wouldn't pass fluid. So granted, the flush helped a lot as far as operation but the crappy downshift has always been there.

Could something be plugged in the valve body? I just don't know much about auto trannies
Ttt

You may need to pull the trans pan a 2nd time and inspect/clean the screen.

Why not manually downshift before the need and avoid the automatic mis-shift? Or does this not help?

My stock 62 occasionally will downshift to first under high load, when I really only wanted it to downshift to 2nd. I think with a non-computer-controlled tranny, you're just going to have some funkyness. Any funkiness may be magnified by the 350 in front of the trans., since it can produce actual horsepower.

You may need to pull the trans pan a 2nd time and inspect/clean the screen.

Why not manually downshift before the need and avoid the automatic mis-shift? Or does this not help?

My stock 62 occasionally will downshift to first under high load, when I really only wanted it to downshift to 2nd. I think with a non-computer-controlled tranny, you're just going to have some funkyness. Any funkiness may be magnified by the 350 in front of the trans., since it can produce actual horsepower.

I think you may be right. I wonder if anyone else has any experience with a 350 in front of an A440f? I know they aren't super common.

Yeah I can manually shift to second but I have to let off the gas briefly. This works, and will avoid the total over rev of the engine on the search for first but it's a PITA

I should drop the pan again and just clean my screen once more. My fluid on my stick is so clean though...

At some point I need to just accept these little "annoyances" for what they are, and replace the tranny with something better when (if?) It ever blows up. It still works awesome in the woods!!

So it appears that my tranny has finally given up. Took it on a 40 mile trip into the woods and back on a Saturday, it would occasionally make a "whining" noise coming from the bell housing that was consistent in pitch with engine rpm. Higher rpm, higher the pitch. Still worked like it used to though (it had made this noise once this winter, but once it warmed up it went away) Drove it a short distance sunday and noticed it shifted a little funny once but that was it. Parked it sunday night and monday morning it acted like it was slipping. It would grab and go a short way in first, (never upshift) and then slip again like it was in neutral. Sometimes high revs could get it to grab again, sometimes lower revs, but any excess torque would cause it to slip into a "neutral" state. Seems like when its colder I can get it to grab more often but when it warms up it gets worse. Fluid level is spot on. I'm thinking maybe torque converter? The whining noise is still there too. Thanks for any advice!

Aftermarket upgraded extreme torque converters for the A440F are available. Add the extreme valve body for crisp immediate shifts and I think that would be able to handle your V8.

The problem with those two upgrades is the cost. Not worth the 1000's of dollars. Swapping in a matching auto from the original V8 would be a better choice.

How much $$$ and or time are you willing to put into this?

Agreed. Mate the engine to the original tranny and put an Advanced adapter between said tranny and case. Much better option and easier on the pocketbook. Sell original adapter to recoup cost. Toss the a440.

Thanks for the replies.

How well does the Rodney upgraded tranny work behind the 350?

It's possible that I may have a line on a very lightly used Rodney Extreme, maybe for around 3000, with I think 5000 miles on it. That would be about the extent of my budget, and time is somewhat limited. I thought about going the 5.3 4l60 route too, but man I don't want to be down all summer long while I figure out how to get that sucker in there.

That A440 is gonna be way more than a good used 4l60. Can you get a 4l60 and an AA installed somewhere for the same price as the tranny?

other cheap option would be to change out the A440 with another for the time being. knowing it won't last forever and figure out the next move.
Might happen to know where one of those is located.
other option would be to go 5 speed manual, can't remember if you wanted to stay auto.
if the budget is $3000 it limits your options unless you are doing much of the work yourself.

Here was the culprit. Its been about 5 1/2 years since I've cleaned the tranny filter. What is this? Clutch Debris? It looks like Dog poo...

Cleaned everything up and am now getting the fluid level back to normal. Works just like she used too, sub par, but... maybe even a little better. The whining from the Bellhousing/Tranny is gone.

I would say her days are still numbered though, so I will still be looking for tranny options

IMG_20170516_144717380.jpg

I had a crapload of issues out of my a440 after I rebuilt my 62. After droppong it and having it checked numerous times by a reputable shop (good guy, not really toyo specific though) mine wound up being a bad spring in the trans for the kickdown cable. Put a new oe cable on it and have been done ever since (12k miles or so). Point there is if you're dropping the pan again, change it and rule it out. Mine was acting similar it sounds like, almost like it was getting confused as to what gear it wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom