a440f "klunk" in 4wd high (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey yall, I've developed a periodic "klunk" somewhere in the drivetrain when I'm in 4wd high. At 25mph the klunk happens about every 4 seconds. You can feel it when it happens, both in the gear shifter and in your feet. I think maybe it's coming from my transfer case but not really sure. The trans is an a440f. Any ideas or tips for diagnosing this?

Are the hubs locked when you hear the noise? Does it make noise with the hubs unlocked but the transfer in 4wd? I would recommend a thorough visual inspection of the transfer case front output (check for play in the output bearings) and the front driveshaft (check both u-joints and the slip joint for play).

If the clunk goes away with the transfer in 4wd but the hubs unlocked then it seems to me that you'll be looking at the locking hub assembly. Do you still have electric hubs? Sometimes if the motors actuate but the splines don't engage properly then it can make some noise as you drive, especially when cornering or if there is wheel spin.

Hub engagement can be checked with the transfer in 2wd and the hubs locked, rotate the front driveshaft by hand to see if the hub splines lock in.

Yes I do still have the electric hubs. I didn't get a chance to get up under there today, but should have some time tomorrow. Thanks as always for your wisdom, I will report back.

visually inspected the tc output and front-drive-shaft.. both u-joints look good to me, laying hands on it and wrenching it back and forth I don't feel any play in anything.. Need to get some jack-stands, and then I'll try out rotating the tires with the transfer in 2wd and the hubs locked.

So with the TC in 2wd and the hubs locked, I can freely spin the front drive-shaft. I do hear a bright "click" once when I begin to spin it, but nothing thereafter. If I shake the driveshaft back and forth I hear light "clunking" inside both hub-locks. I took some video will upload asap.

Definitely sounds like either one or both of your hubs aren't locking properly. Could be worn contacts, old sticky grease, failed hub motor. You could attempt a diagnosis and repair, or just go with a manual hub conversion. I believe both Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit and @Radd Cruisers sell kits to convert to manual hubs.

Parts finally arrived today.

1713208042885.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom