A squeaking noise. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bww.com
I started to hear this squeaking sound about 2 days ago and I'm just trying to figure out what the hell is causing it. I only hear it when the squeak when the car is rolling and it speeds up with the car. Then goes away when the brakes are applied. I'm going to check the front brakes to see if its coming from there.

Any one else had this problem. BTW I did use the search function, but found no definitive answer.

Thanks again guys.

the magnetguy said:
My 96 LX did the same - was the brake pad sensors (pads were pretty much toast!!) had them replaced - Problem Solved! - no more squeel -

Agreed!

I'll check it out tomorrow

i think the pads are designed to do that, wear indicator or whatnot. mine allways did that, thats when i knew it was time for new pads :grinpimp:

Checked the brakes last night and the pad wasn't even down to where the indicator is. Still has 2k miles to go on it (guesstimation).

I'm kind of dealing with the same problem right now. Mine occurs in slow right hand turns. It seems to go away after longer periods of driving. Brakes still have about 80% wear left, so it's not the wear indicator tab.

My guess would be brakes too.
Did you check front and rear? Inside and outside pads?

On a related note, I've had those squeel indicators break off in the past.
So, I'd have squeeling for a while, then nothing...
Just thought I'd mention it for those who might think that a problem is solved when the squeeling stops by itself...the next sound you might hear could be grinding :eek:

NorCalDoug said:
My guess would be brakes too.
On a related note, I've had those squeel indicators break off in the past.
So, I'd have squeeling for a while, then nothing...
Just thought I'd mention it for those who might think that a problem is solved when the squeeling stops by itself...the next sound you might hear could be grinding :eek:

Exactly!! It is not only your pads, it is also your rotors that are probably close to being gone. When I first heard my squeeking, I discovered that my DS caliper was loose. After tightening it was gone but came back, occurd only when I would merge left, let's say at speed of 50 mph. Got me new set of front rotors and all around new pads. It's been flawless ever seince, about 5K miles ago. Bottom line, if your pads are way passed spec, chances are your rotors are shot too. Replace'em.

Have had and have done -

The squeak get pretty annoying huh!!!

The rotors are still okay. I was measuring them and they are still within specs, so I ruled it out. The brakes were pretty dusty so i cleaned them up and the squeak is gone for now.

DigitalKnight86 said:
I started to hear this squeaking sound about 2 days ago and I'm just trying to figure out what the hell is causing it. I only hear it when the squeak when the car is rolling and it speeds up with the car. Then goes away when the brakes are applied. I'm going to check the front brakes to see if its coming from there.

Any one else had this problem. BTW I did use the search function, but found no definitive answer.

Thanks again guys.

One of your LC's is an old model which might have the slightly smaller rotors that allow you to fit 15" rims. Is that the one that squeeked ?

A problem with the old models is that new brake pads that are slightly bigger can also fit them but have a small portion at the outer edge that doesn't touch the rotors even in use. In time, this portion develops an unworn edge that protrudes over the rotor edge and eventually makes contact even if the brakes aren't being used, resulting in a squeek.

It's easy enough to verify. Just look at your rotors and see if they have a shiny edge. If so, grind down the edge of your pads.

Kalawang

I didn't want to litter the forum with another squeak thread so here's my version.

-It's a wheel rotation dependent metal on metal squeaking, almost like a light bird chirping noise, one chirp per rotation
-Sound occurs at speeds around 20-30mph; any faster it gets drowned out by wind/drivetrain noise
-I must have the front windows down to hear it and I need to be driving against parked cars or a wall for sound to bounce off of
-Noise still heard when braking

I replaced front and rear pads along with new shim/fitting kits to no avail. I properly greased the front backing plate per FSM. Rotors are ~4 months old. All OEM.

I can routinely hear it, but noticed when I had @midfat check it out last night after a long 2 hour drive from San Diego to LA, the noise was gone (lucky me).

Otherwise, truck drives like a dream. This squeak squeak squeak is really eating away at my OCD. Fix suggestions welcomed in case anyone else went thru something similar. Gracias!

Last edited:
Why I'm going to RIP OUT the rear jump seats in my wife's 200! Squeaking noises. Dead silence in the 28yr old 80 series.....

I didn't want to litter the forum with another squeak thread so here's my version.

-It's a wheel rotation dependent metal on metal squeaking, almost like a light bird chirping noise, one chirp per rotation
-Sound occurs at speeds around 20-30mph; any faster it gets drowned out by wind/drivetrain noise
-I must have the front windows down to hear it and I need to be driving against parked cars or a wall for sound to bounce off of
-Noise still heard when braking

I replaced front and rear pads along with new shim/fitting kits to no avail. I properly greased the front backing plate per FSM. Rotors are ~4 months old. All OEM.

I can routinely hear it, but noticed when I had @midfat check it out last night after a long 2 hour drive from San Diego to LA, the noise was gone (lucky me).

Otherwise, truck drives like a dream. This squeak squeak squeak is really eating away at my OCD. Fix suggestions welcomed in case anyone else went thru something similar. Gracias!
My first thought are hub caps. But I don't recall if you're running them because I think you have aftermarket wheels.

I have a fender flare that only squeaks when im driving and it doesn't do it all the time. I finally found it on the interstate next to a semi and I would speed up and slow down so I could isolate about where it was on the truck.

After I stopped, I went out and slightly tapped on the flares, windows, roof rack until I found the RR flare on the rear fender was making noise. I still haven't fixed it, it just annoys me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom