Builds A proper introduction - 2016 GX 460 Premium build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to thank everyone first for the wealth of knowledge on this forum. I've been researching a GX purchase for many months, and most of my research was conducted here.

Just got out of a modified 2017 Tacoma into a 2016 GX with Premium Package. I stuck to a strict budget, so my search was painful but ended up on a good deal on a 1 owner lease out of Florida. Aside from a few small interior nicks, the truck is in great shape. Really enjoying being back in a V8 and the GX is everything I loved about the Tacoma mixed with everything that I enjoy in my wife's 2017 MDX which is a great vehicle that simply sits too low.

Suspension
Dobinsons 50mm front & 45mm rear, comfort valved and KDSS compensation
10mm Dobinsons spring spacer - left rear & 15mm Dobinsons spring spacer - right rear (added after swingout tire carrier to gain back ride height lost and compensate additionally for KDSS lean)
Blackhawk UCAs aka GXOR "Slinky" UCAs

Wheel and tire packages:
Feb '19 - June '19
Relations Race Wheels RR5-V 20x9" in +0mm offset
BFG KO2 275/55/20 - at the installer's garage

June '19 - Jan '20
OEM 18" wheels - 18x7.5" in +25mm offset
Nitto Ridge Grappler 265/70/18 standard load
SpiderTrax 1.5" wheel spacers

Jan '20 - present
Fuel "Tech" D672 18x9" in +1mm offset
Nitto Ridge Grappler 265/70/18 standard load (carried over from previous)

Interior/Functional
12v Solutions remote start
Maxpider 3D Kagu floor mats
35% Pinnacle ceramic on the front door windows
Curt hitch
Victory 4x4 MOLLE panel - drivers side only
Canvasback cargo liners, bottom only and 2nd row seat backs

Exterior
Wrapped tail lights
Detours Of Maine swingout tire carrier
Factory cross bars
ARB skid plates (front, transmission, mid, transfer case)
RCI 1/4" raw aluminum fuel tank skid plate
Body Mount Chop

IMG-7136.jpg

940EE36E-7445-402E-A5ED-E1259550B4E6.JPG

IMG-6712.JPG

Last edited:
Nice vehicle! I went a little more aggressive for my build, even though we also do beach days, but we also go skiing and hit the hills for some off-roading too.
Enjoy!

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing the build photos and updates - it's great to see more 2014+ GX 460s joining the ranks.

Also, make sure to join GXOR on Facebook if you haven't already. It is also a wealth of information and a wonderful group of helpful people.

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing the build photos and updates - it's great to see more 2014+ GX 460s joining the ranks.

Also, make sure to join GXOR on Facebook if you haven't already. It is also a wealth of information and a wonderful group of helpful people.

Thank you. And already joined over there sir!

No, No, NO!!! We need more pre-2014's joining!!! :p

You better post some pic's after you mount everything!!!
Don't make me report you to the "all talk-no show" police!

Nice! I'm interested to hear what you think of the Dobinson's. Part of me would love remote reservoirs, but not sure I actually need to go that far for my purposes. Did you order from Treaty Oak?

You better post some pic's after you mount everything!!!
Don't make me report you to the "all talk-no show" police!
Never afraid of showing. Installer gets the truck at 8am tomorrow. Would normally do it myself, but his price was cheaper than expected and wayyyyyy less than me taking a day off.

Nice! I'm interested to hear what you think of the Dobinson's. Part of me would love remote reservoirs, but not sure I actually need to go that far for my purposes. Did you order from Treaty Oak?
Agreed. Last two trucks have been 2.5" remote reservoirs, and massively overkill, not to mention pretty firm. I went "no load" for a reason this time, and I'm hoping everything I've read pans out in reality.
And no, ended up going through Apache Offroad after speaking with one of their co-owners.

wow, will be a beautiful set up. What wheel and tire combination is that. I have yet to get my with remote reservoirs installed so I could mount my SCS wheels.

wow, will be a beautiful set up. What wheel and tire combination is that. I have yet to get my with remote reservoirs installed so I could mount my SCS wheels.
Thanks! We’ll find out tomorrow for sure!
20x9” 0mm offset Relations Race Wheels RR5-V with 275/55/20 KO2. Just enough of a change to set the truck apart but not wild enough to need UCAs or a CMC. Should only require minimal plastic trimming.

Very interested in this! Can't wait to see the after pics. How much lift are you going for? And any reason you went for a 20 inch wheel? Just curious.

Very interested in this! Can't wait to see the after pics. How much lift are you going for? And any reason you went for a 20 inch wheel? Just curious.
50mm front and 45mm rear, comfort valved and KDSS compensation.
I don't crawl the truck, and my off roading is limited to beach trips and some very minor fire road needs at the deer lease and around Virginia. Personally, I like a bigger wheel, and everyone goes SCS, Method or FN these days. I wanted to be a little different.

I bet those 20" tires are costing a couple of coins!:hmm:
Are you doing a matching spare? If so will it fit under the rear or will you just rely on a can of fix-a-flat?

I bet those 20" tires are costing a couple of coins!:hmm:
Are you doing a matching spare? If so will it fit under the rear or will you just rely on a can of fix-a-flat?

Actually, another myth. Nearly the same price as a 275/70/17 or 275/65/18. With 10% of each other.
No matching spare, but I will have a 255/70/18 installed on the factory 5th wheel so that I have a capable spare in the event it's needed. That's less than a .10" difference in height from the 275/55/20 I'm running.

Dont want to hijack your thread but anything bad if the spare is smaller than standard wheels? I plan to keep the factory wheel in the spare location and run 285/70-17 wheel tire combination.

Dont want to hijack your thread but anything bad if the spare is smaller than standard wheels? I plan to keep the factory wheel in the spare location and run 285/70-17 wheel tire combination.
That's a hijack that the internet has put many many bullets in a dead horse. Please use the Google-box. :)

Regarding adding the spare tire into tire roation and diamter difference affecting the GX, I just replied to this thread on this GX forum: Is the spare part of tire rotation at the dealership - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Below is my post:
One thing else not mentioned, when someday, way in the future, and the limit marks are beginning to show on ones tires, it's a lot cheaper to replace four tires instead of five.
I say this because I'm running LT285/75R17 BFG M/T KM2's at $324 each. I'd much rather only purchase four instead of five when the time comes.
Although, if my tires were well worn down and had to use the brand new spare, I don't think I'd want to put a lot of miles on it regarding diameter difference.

On that note, here's a personal experience: My wife and I purchased in 1992 a new Toyota Previa All-Wheel-Drive mini van (great van for the time). At just a couple of thousand miles short of the warranty running out, we had a flat. I had custom 17" wheels with low profile tires (looked great!) but still had the stock spare. Got a flat and had to use the spare which was a slightly smaller diameter. Ended up winding up the entire drive train and caused thousands of dollars of damage to (if I remember correctly) the transfer case and drive shafts. Fortunately as mentioned above we had a little left on our warranty and Toyota picked up the entire tab!

Question: anyone know for sure per Lexus documentation or otherwise if a slightly different size will wind up a drive train as mentioned above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom