Builds A Newbs "New" 1991 1HZ Troopy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Before:
IMG_4340.JPG

After:

IMG_4338.JPG
IMG_4339.JPG

I'm a happy dude! :cheers:

I need to check if i have that bracket for the brake compensator.... I have a similar lift. Anyone know if you dont have it are the brakes more or less effective :)

Removing the LSPV would return the braking system to a 50/50 proportioning. Probably not bad on a SWB vehicle. I like a LSPV on longer, heavier trucks like Troopies.

I would s*** can the crappy Toyota iteration and use one of these (this is what I used on my big, bloated heavy 80 back in the day):

Wilwood Disc Brakes - MasterCylinder No: 260-12627

I need to check if i have that bracket for the brake compensator.... I have a similar lift. Anyone know if you dont have it are the brakes more or less effective :)

@AndrewHadji

If you don't have that extension the truck would "sense" that it is lighter than it was before the lift and therefore would reduce the flow of brake fluid to your rear brakes (making the brakes less effective). Adding that bracket (or similar) will "virtually increase the load" sensed by the load sensing proportional valve (LSPV) and increase the flow of brake fluid to your rear brakes, returning the brakes to a close to stock condition.

The LSPV is just designed to increase brake fluid flow proportionally to load, more load, more brake fluid flow to rear brakes. Conversely, less load, less brake fluid flow to rear brakes.

Hope this makes some sense.

@beno well done on the Paris Hilton resurrection! :rofl: She would be so honored to be used on the internet again.
Also, thanks for sharing the link to that upgraded proportioning valve. Ill keep that bookmarked in case brakes start to feel weak after more weight is added.

@AndrewHadji If you don't see a bracket on yours but it seems to reach fine maybe Steve installed longer lines instead? Mine only needed the brackets when the axle was as low as it could hang since the new springs allow for more "reach" than stock.

Since there was no small business to support in the US for cup holders I had Brad at Dingo4x4 send me this rad set up from Australia. Happy to support him and have the first unit he's ever shipped internationally. Great guy, solid product!

Edit to be clear: There are awesome cupholders made here in the US by @bhicks and sold by Odd Iron Off Road + @1978HJ45 but at this time there was no option for the bench seat style layout like mine.

From nothin:
IMG_4342.JPG

To somethin:

IMG_4343.JPG
IMG_4345.JPG

The tray section is perfect for phone/ glasses/ wallet or whatever.

Last edited:
@PNWScooby .... "Since there was no small business to support in the US for cup holders I had Brad at Dingo4x4 send me this rad set up from Australia. Happy to support him and have the first unit he's ever shipped internationally. Great guy, solid product!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But there is a U.S. based cup holder vendor on 'MUD and more specifically in the 70 Series section.

@PNWScooby .... "Since there was no small business to support in the US for cup holders I had Brad at Dingo4x4 send me this rad set up from Australia. Happy to support him and have the first unit he's ever shipped internationally. Great guy, solid product!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But there is a U.S. based cup holder vendor on 'MUD and more specifically in the 70 Series section.
No option for bench seat models sir.

Got the spare wheel carrier done. Came up with the design late last night then Fab'd up the pieces today during lunch hours with the help of the same friend that did my panels and lots more to come. Since the pictures I've gotten the lug nuts to hold it on but haven't driven yet. Tomorrow will be the test since I'm going snowboarding then camping down some forest roads so I will report back with the results.
VERY happy to get that tire out of the cargo area so I can load it up to full potential now.

IMG_4378.JPG
IMG_4380.JPG
IMG_4381.JPG
IMG_4385.JPG
IMG_4386.JPG

The thick steel brackets shown in the above post are just for inner door support of course. The actual wheel is mounted on the typical wheel carrier OEM piece. Thanks again for getting me that @joekatana

Cleaned up the OEM bracket with a wire brush then painted to rust proof it.
Went with all Grade 8 hardware and some neoprene washers in between the bracket and body to lessen the chance of cracking the body panel when tightening down the bolts.

IMG_4382.JPG

Last edited:
Wheel carrier did great down some pretty bumpy dirt / rocky roads. Found some sweet roads to crawl around on going slow in 1st gear to test the flex of the new suspension. It feels really good. Perfect for my needs.

Went snowboarding Saturday morning then camped on the mountain with a friend who has a nice sprinter van.

Troopy_may7-17-1.jpg
Troopy_may7-17-2.jpg
Troopy_may7-17-3.jpg
Troopy_may7-17-4.jpg

Man, you have some real talent with a camera. I'm normally happy if my photos are relatively focused and don't feature one of my fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom