Builds A Newbs "New" 1991 1HZ Troopy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

img_4282-jpg.1444121

Might be a bit late but if the nutserts are 6mm you can get furniture connector bolts in brown with a large 3/4" O.D flat head and internal hex drive

Furniture-Connector-Bolts-Type-FBE.jpg

11/4" long and 2" long. (plus 3 & 4")

Might be a bit late but if the nutserts are 6mm you can get furniture connector bolts in brown with a large 3/4" O.D flat head and internal hex drive

View attachment 1455693

11/4" long and 2" long. (plus 3 & 4")
Thanks for the tip, Billy. I mentioned in there somewhere though that I have those same bolts / washers going to powdercoat with some other interior stuff as well. They will all be matching dark brown soon. The current bare zinc finish is just temporary

Last edited:
Finally have a couple dry sunny days starting today so I went for my new wheel color project. I did them two at a time so only one corner of the truck was on jack stands at a time. (1 wheel off the actual hub and the spare to start and so on...).

My process:
Remove wheel from truck
Wash
Dry
Scotch brite pad scuff em up
Air can to blow off the dust
Index cards around the edge to keep paint off tire
3 coats dark grey gloss
1 coat clear gloss
Wait 45min
Remount on truck
X5
Have beer and stare at it ;)

IMG_4393.JPG
IMG_4402.JPG
IMG_4394.JPG
IMG_4401.JPG
IMG_4403.JPG

Worked a full day today on the troopy to make a platform for the interior build. Got fed up with that super uneven surface. Bit the bullet and spent the money on a piece of 5x10' plywood then cut it down to fit and made all the little cuts so it forms to the edges well. Then ended up using some black 3'x4' rubber mats as my surface. Nice to finally have some grip back there. NOTHING stays where you put it on that factory vinyl stuff as most of you probably know. Especially when the rear area is so empty still.

Here are some pictures of the cubby as well. Powder coated aluminum same as the panels.
IMG_4435.JPG

My buddies at Flatline Fabrication did a super good job on this!
Detail on the piano hinge..
IMG_4437.JPG

And what the backside looks like. Had them put a shelf in just over the wheel well so its a nice flat surface to pack on to.

IMG_4438.JPG

I've had that cubby installed for a little bit now but it sits much better with the flat surface of the new platform. Its comin' together!

IMG_4448.JPG

Went camping on the coast this past weekend and had it packed up pretty good. Surfboard up against the ceiling and everything else pretty much in that cubby or hanging from somewhere ...except for the cooler. Ill get a photo next time. Drove great all loaded with gear over some pretty crap roads.

@peterb super secret....Home Depot! haha

@ROUSER Found a photo I could crop into to show you. Nothing fancy, just rope tied around the cross supports. Thats my 5'9" single fin in there pictured. I dont have a board over 6'2" so this works for me for now. Also using those ropes to hang sleeping bags, hammock, camping pillow etc...

Boardholder-1.jpg

@peterb super secret....Home Depot! haha

@ROUSER Found a photo I could crop into to show you. Nothing fancy, just rope tied around the cross supports. Thats my 5'9" single fin in there pictured. I dont have a board over 6'2" so this works for me for now. Also using those ropes to hang sleeping bags, hammock, camping pillow etc...

Nice, thanks for the pic. I want to try and figure out a system with a bar and pad. I've seen a set up before the used shower curtain rods to hold up the boards on the ceiling.

It’s been approximately one year since I purchased the Troopy from Handsel. I’ve put approximately 5,000 KM’s on it as it now sits around 27,000 Km’s. Im trying to get better organized at documenting what I’ve done so far - this build thread will help me keep that going. Since purchase, I’ve done a few things to the Troopy such as wheels, lights, roof rack. I had hoped to get a lot more done but it’s sharing time at Rob’s shop with my two other cruiser projects (really need to clone him).

This photo was taken a couple of weeks back just before it headed to Rob’s for Windrock “prep.”

338C6682-01B5-4162-A3E1-751F5CC427CB.jpeg

The Troopy was unable to be delivered in time for last years Windrock event. As of now, it’s looking like all systems are go to be in attendance this year. Rob was hoping to get the turbo/intercooler setup finished in time but that’s not going to happen. Some other projects delayed things a little. I was at the shop on Saturday and snagged a few shots of the work in progress.

8AD535CB-9A08-43C1-98E3-BD6E227AD0AB.jpeg

I was never crazy with the spare tire hanging off the back door and have been looking at options pretty much since the Troopy was acquired. Thanks to another Mud member (hat tip to @joekatana) I was able to score a pretty decent base for Rob to take over. I’m waiting on the bumper to get out powder coating before I post up the final pics. This is the last picture I have before the real details started to emerge.

18014F4B-5755-4805-A9D6-773D99EC62BC.jpeg

Your new bumper will be a work of art and proof of what a talented fabricator can do. I was lucky enough to see it before it was removed for the powder coating process.

Rob allows me to stand at a distance and watch as long as I promise to not touch anything. It's kinda like having access to the "Skunk Works" of Land Cruisers. :)

Great looking build!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom