A lot of dash lights on. HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok I have the winter package so 80A would be the route.

I didn't understand that the tercel mounting holes were about 5mm different than the land cruiser. Been searching for something that doesn't require making a new belt tensioning bracket. anyone know of options other than the tercels?

@Druepy , make sure if you upgrade your alternator to a higher amperage one than the stock version that you also consider the cable size that goes from the alternator to the passenger side battery. I recently upgraded my 91 HDJ81 from the 60 amp factory alternator to a Terrain Tamer 120 amp alternator (which, by the way, is plug and play with an oval/round adapter as well as getting the higher amperage adjusting bar from Toyota; the adjusting bar is the metal slide rail that allows you to swivel the alternator when loosening/tightening the belt tension). With a higher amperage alternator (usually 100amps or larger) the unit is bigger, so you have to have the right adjusting bar to suit. Also, I upgraded my alternator wiring to an AWG 2 wire to handle the potentially higher current that the higher amperage alternator is capable of putting out (see my post about it here: HDJ81 alternator upgrade and associated wiring/fusible link - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hdj81-alternator-upgrade-and-associated-wiring-fusible-link.1286899/post-14505777 ).

Hope this helps!

1992 Toyota MR2 100A is a direct match without modifications

I have a NOS genuine TOYOTA Tercel Alternator

I also have these and a 120A nos Denso unit too

D4B4658E-2383-42C2-B751-B1DC8D334271.jpeg

Last edited:
I just pulled the charge fuse under the hood and let 'er be. Only drawback is you have to glance at the gauge once in a while to see if it's charging.

I had put in a new alternator so I knew that wasn't the problem. I even changed the glowplug system to a manual one so that was eliminated.

Just wanted to do a little update for anyone that plans to upgrade their alternator to one of these M2k.inc alternators. The direct bolt-on is achieved by using this alternator adjuster bracket Toyota part #16381-17020. -(this one works and I have tested it). you can also run the original-sized belts!!!

the original bracket Toyota part # 16381-17010 needs to be ground down due to the different arch in the bracket.

I have a NOS genuine TOYOTA Tercel Alternator

I also have these and a 120A nos Denso unit too

View attachment 3238833
depending on what connector you have you can get pigtails to adapt your alternator from the old classic 3-pin triangle plug to Oval.
1686426990190.png

Just wanted to do a little update for anyone that plans to upgrade their alternator to one of these M2k.inc alternators. The direct bolt-on is achieved by using this alternator adjuster bracket Toyota part #16381-17020. -(this one works and I have tested it). you can also run the original-sized belts!!!

the original bracket Toyota part # 16381-17010 needs to be ground down due to the different arch in the bracket.

what AMP unit in paticular did u decide on here and why ?

thanks

what AMP unit in paticular did u decide on here and why ?

thanks
I went a little overkill I got the 390A for future-proofing but really a 180A would do just fine

1992 Toyota MR2 100A is a direct match without modifications

For the 80 amp or 110 amp?

I'd read elsewhere the Tercel fit and when I ordered it, it was different.

I have the 110 amp stock one but I'm pretty sure it's dying. I really don't want to go with a local rebuild. I don't trust it.

For the 80 amp or 110 amp?

I'd read elsewhere the Tercel fit and when I ordered it, it was different.

I have the 110 amp stock one but I'm pretty sure it's dying. I really don't want to go with a local rebuild. I don't trust it.
I believe my alternator was an 80 amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom