a little front diff help pls.... is there supposed to be a washer behind stake nut??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi, could use a little help from someone familiar with the front pinion setup...

I am working on my 95 unlocked front carrier and was looking at toyota parts diagram. It clearly shows a washer between the stake nut and front pinion flange. But mine is absent. When I called toyota , they told me my VIN did not call for the part in the callout (which would make sense why I am missing it, But I was also having preload issues with the outer pinion.

The dealer also told me sometimes the callouts are inaccurate and they recommended I buy the one for the rear and use it. Is this good advice???

Can anyone please confirm there should or should not be a washer between the pinion flange and stake nut?

thanks.

Here's the section from the 96 FSM. No washer shown. I seem to recall there being a washer when I did mine, but it could be my CRS kicking in.

1683816092971.png

Here's the section from the 96 FSM. No washer shown.

Thank you!

In my haste of looking for the washer I never thought to check the FSM.... if the FSM doesnt have one, and the computer says my truck doesnt need one.... i guess there's my answer with confirmation!

Just did my rear diff, there was a washer under the nut.

hi, could use a little help from someone familiar with the front pinion setup...

I am working on my 95 unlocked front carrier and was looking at toyota parts diagram. It clearly shows a washer between the stake nut and front pinion flange. But mine is absent. When I called toyota , they told me my VIN did not call for the part in the callout (which would make sense why I am missing it, But I was also having preload issues with the outer pinion.

The dealer also told me sometimes the callouts are inaccurate and they recommended I buy the one for the rear and use it. Is this good advice???

Can anyone please confirm there should or should not be a washer between the pinion flange and stake nut?

thanks.
Shows one for a 93

8CD4A9A2-5D37-41B8-AAF5-A78015BA361A.png

95 also shows one

D7032CED-5207-4E96-BEE1-8FCB1CD996E2.png

@fjbj40 the 95 shows the pic of a washer on the diagram, but there is no callout, and when referenced for my vin there is no part listed.

but hmmm, so, it appears as if the 93 also uses a different lock nut.... i wonder if they changed it a bit and deleted the washer. I don't have the 93 FSM to look to see if it calls for it or not.

The 95 parts diagram calls for only 90179-20018
yet
the 93 calls for washer 90201-20005 and nut 90177-22003

@AaKnight

I only have a 94 FSM, her is the front diff(s)

It shows a washer, 🤷‍♂️

image.jpg

how interesting. the engineering baffles me sometimes.... why they would go to the effort of removing the washer on the 95 and different pn for the flange... its distinctly omitted from the 95 fsm..... very strange to me.

Washers are intended to provide a flat surface for a nut or bolt head to bear on. They are used to lower manufacturing costs of machining the bearing surface. When a machined bearing surface exists, no washer should be used, as the stamped surface is always inferior to a machined surface.

Since Toyota probably didn't machine the flanges, but specified that, if it was to be done, the supplier would be responsible for it, the selection of a supplier, and the costs to supply quoted, would have determined whether or not a washer was specified.

This is one of those inscrutable manufacturing engineering decisions that end users scratch their heads over, but is entirely mundane in the office when the choice is made.

There is no '93 FSM. :confused:

It's the same as the 1994. That FSM covers both years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom