A great A/C shop and another FJ62 owner! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What happened to your engine? Sorry to hear that man. :(
Bottom end went out. Was our daily driver. Ended up picking up a 100 series and sold it as is. Still miss her, but the 100 series is w monster

Haven't really been involved in the HVAC field once I went to work for the government. Even less once I retired. Few weeks back found a cheap small freezer at Home Depot. It has Cyclopentane as a refrigerant. Believe it R600A and a form of butane? Did a little research and find R134A is going to be gone soon. Once that happens the price for that is going to sky rocket. Heard R410A is going soon as well. I still have a R22 mini split and split system heat new in the box because I didn't want to deal with 410A which requires different gauges. Glad I didn't switch any of my home equipment to R410A. Our two DD are R134A but now glad I didn't switch my FJ62 over. Now the question is going to be will the new refrigerant have a kit to replace R12 which was replaced over twenty five years ago?

Now the question is going to be will the new refrigerant have a kit to replace R12 which was replaced over twenty five years ago?
The refrigerant being used by the car industry is HFO R1234yf.
R134A is being phased out in 2020, but unlike the previous CFC's is not mandatory , meaning production and imports should stay the same....
this particular refrigerant will not be used on new vehicles starting in 2020/21 as mandated by EPA
funny thing is that there is no mandated / recommended substitute but a lot of manufactures have already transition over to the new HFO.

EDIT:
Price of HFO being a new refrigerant is $70-$120 a pound....

Easy enough to buy 12 cans of R134a NOW for future use. Buy them at the end of the summer when store are scaling back inventory for the winter. I have cans of R12 price marked at 69 cents, from way back.

Haven't really been involved in the HVAC field once I went to work for the government. Even less once I retired. Few weeks back found a cheap small freezer at Home Depot. It has Cyclopentane as a refrigerant. Believe it R600A and a form of butane? Did a little research and find R134A is going to be gone soon. Once that happens the price for that is going to sky rocket. Heard R410A is going soon as well. I still have a R22 mini split and split system heat new in the box because I didn't want to deal with 410A which requires different gauges. Glad I didn't switch any of my home equipment to R410A. Our two DD are R134A but now glad I didn't switch my FJ62 over. Now the question is going to be will the new refrigerant have a kit to replace R12 which was replaced over twenty five years ago?

Which Mini-Split did you buy ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom