A different way to vent yer diff..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question: Where do the OEM transmission and transfer case breather tubes terminate? (I can't find them).

Thanks in advance.

The tranny and transfer case go to a clip on the tranny dipstick, I do believe.

Question: Where do the OEM transmission and transfer case breather tubes terminate? (I can't find them).

Thanks in advance.

The tranny and transfer case go to a clip on the tranny dipstick, I do believe.

Thanks.
I looked up and down the tranny dip stick tube today and there was nothing there attached to the tube. I did change out my starter about three months back and I do not recall seeing anything then. Maybe I'm blind. I know I'm farsighted so I'll get my reading glasses on and look again.

BTW, I looked through the FSM and found no reference to the breather termination points!

:beer:

i will go take a picture of mine..

ok

truck pics 013- 800x600.jpg

truck pics 014-800x600.jpg

truck pics 015-800x600.jpg

Here you go.
truck pics 013- 800x600.jpg
truck pics 014-800x600.jpg
truck pics 015-800x600.jpg

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

Thanks CappyKD...you are the best ! I did find them.

Those two tubes have to be removed from that terminal and then extended. I will have to get a splice fitting.

Question:

The rear end terminal for the diff lock actuator breather ends inside the tool storage area (driver side rear) and it has a Y shaped clear plastic terminal with a black rubber sleeve on one side. What is that all about ?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I did route the rear diff (axle) breather through the moonroof tube grommet and up into the tool storage area. I can now extend it up the hollow rear pillar right to the roof line !

Question:

The rear end terminal for the diff lock actuator breather ends inside the tool storage area (driver side rear) and it has a Y shaped clear plastic terminal with a black rubber sleeve on one side. What is that all about ?

The rear locker actuator breather tube is black, in the rear wiring harness, comes out of the harness and terminates between the frame and wheel well about dead center of the left rear wheel. I extended it with vacuum line to the same place as the axle breather.

The rear locker actuator breather tube is black, in the rear wiring harness, comes out of the harness and terminates between the frame and wheel well about dead center of the left rear wheel. I extended it with vacuum line to the same place as the axle breather.

I looked at the driver side rear where the breather is supposed to terminate between the frame and wheel well. The wiring harness is there and a breather tube exits it but it goes through the rear most grommet where the trailer lighting wiring harness is and then terminates inside the tool storage area with that Y shaped clear plastic end I described earlier.

There was no termination at the frame/wheel well location (dead center above the rear axle).

Maybe the LX was terminated differently ?

I looked at the driver side rear where the breather is supposed to terminate between the frame and wheel well. The wiring harness is there and a breather tube exits it but it goes through the rear most grommet where the trailer lighting wiring harness is and then terminates inside the tool storage area with that Y shaped clear plastic end I described earlier.

There was no termination at the frame/wheel well location (dead center above the rear axle).

Maybe the LX was terminated differently ?

Got me? Both my brothers trucks were the same as mine, '96 & '97 LC's?:confused:

Got me? Both my brothers trucks were the same as mine, '96 & '97 LC's?:confused:

Here's a photo of what is on my truck. The rear diff lock breather is the balck tube. The other mystery breather is the one with the Y shaped terminator.

What is it for?

diff_and_Y_breather.jpg

Last edited:
The theory is that the clear tube is for the window washers on the ambulance door trucks, it's unused on our trucks.

The $64K will be paid out in small increments over the next millenium.

Thank you so kindly.

Does the transmission/transfer has a breather hose? (92 FJ80). Is so, were is located?:hmm:

They both mount to the tranny dipstick, just lookes at mine

Do you somehow seal the two tubes entering the dip stick tube after you remove to extend the breathers?

i would strongly consider not using the stock vent flapper in any area where mud/dirt regularly gets slung. The stock vent will get mud in between the cap and body and cease to move(in open or closed position)- which can happen(ask me how i know) fairly easily.

Mine seized in the closed position from a combo of oil/dirt/mud and consequently sucked grease from the Birf into the axle--blowing the front pinion seal and puking the entire contents of the front diff gear oil til a few bearings went south.

i would strongly consider not using the stock vent flapper in any area where mud/dirt regularly gets slung. The stock vent will get mud in between the cap and body and cease to move(in open or closed position)- which can happen(ask me how i know) fairly easily.

Mine seized in the closed position from a combo of oil/dirt/mud and consequently sucked grease from the Birf into the axle--blowing the front pinion seal and puking the entire contents of the front diff gear oil til a few bearings went south.

X2, I use air cooled VW fuel filters, their small, cheap and easily available.
VW-Filter.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom