A couple Tips for 265/70/17 no rubbing + fit in spare location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From scanning the posts here I found out that while a 265/70/17 will fit without rubbing in many cases, and sometimes fits in the spare location, nothing is guaranteed. So take this as a datapoint!

GX info:

- Full size lexus hitch

- No lift

- 265/70/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s

I used a couple strategies to enhance my odds that everything will fit and feel OEM.

Strategy 1:

Not all tires are actually the same diameter. Search for options where the actual diameter is smaller. For example:
  • CD AT3 4s - 31.42”
  • Wildpeak at3 (SL) - 31.65”
  • K02 (SL) - 31.65”

In a game of close tolerances, it can make a difference!
Strategy 2:

Buy 4 tires first, drive 3000 miles (ish) and then buy the 5th and do a 5 tire rotation. Or just buy 5 at once and wait to mount the spare.
This will wear down the tires a teebit giving you a little extra clearance. To me, it was worth the risk of a flat with no spare in the first few thousand miles.

Conclusion:

I had zero trimming or massaging to do with a heat gun, zero cutting of the hitch, and zero complaints. It may not work for your GX but will increase the odds that everything will fit.

Thanks for this.

It has occurred to me that a used tire for the spare might be the best bet to fit, but it might be a pain to find one.

Thanks for this.

It has occurred to me that a used tire for the spare might be the best bet to fit, but it might be a pain to find one.
Just do a bunch of burn-outs and donuts with the tires on your rig! :D

:hmm:

It occurs to me the used FJ wheels I bought have 255/75r17s. That's just a bit too big for a spare, but some of them are nearly bald. Might as well see if a bald one will fit in the spare spot. If it does I think it will be close enough in size to serve as a spare.

If not, picking up a worn 265/70r17 for a spare sounds like the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom