A/C Manifold Gauge Readings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background info, A/C blows cool. In the morning on a cloud covered day, it will eventually cool the cabin. On a heat soaked, 95F afternoon in stop and go traffic, it will never keep up.

Yesterday I removed the blower motor and visually inspected the evaporator and flushed it with some degreaser and the water hose; it was surprising clean with very little debris.

Changing the temperature lever definitely adjusts the temperature from cool to hot and the water control valve seems to be fully closed.

Looking for someone with experience to tell me what I'm reading on the A/C manifold gauges.

Ambient temp 90F with 60% humidity.

Static pressures with the engine off were similar on the low and high side:

IMG_4304.JPG

I followed the FSM steps shown below and converted the normal readings via Google:

IMG_4308.JPG

The last picture is after I let the A/C run for 5 minutes on max, recirculate on, with RPMs at 1500.

LOW = 20 PSI, HIGH = 235 PSI.

IMG_4307.JPG

When I look up these numbers on other A/C gauge reading sites, it seems they're both low, but according to the FSM I'm just barely out of spec in each direction. I think with the 60% humidity I should be seeing higher numbers from both, indicated a low charge? Any other thoughts?

Your 'static' pressures look fine assuming the temp *under hood, not ambient* was about 90-92°F. That they are roughly equal tells us the system was able to successfully equalize after being shut down. Why is that important? Because it suggests there are no significant restrictions between the high and low sides/components. But we needn't put too much stock in 'static' readings beyond that.

Static pressure readings really only tell us two things.
1. The system will or will not equalize.
2. There is enough pressure present to satisfy the low pressure switch and allow the compressor clutch to engage or there is not.

It will NOT tell us how much 'liquid' refrigerant is in the system, only that 'some' is there. The pressure will be the same if you have 3 ozs *liquid* or 20 ozs. OK to take static readings before proceeding, just recognize the limitations.

Your dynamic pressures are low. Not wildly so...but low. I prefer not to run the engine at 1500 rpm to check pressures. Its good to run the engine a few minutes above idle to let the system settle, then just let it run at normal idle. With the compressor running a normal idle will increase automatically to about 900-1000 rpm and that's good enough. It also replicates what your engine will be doing *in traffic at idle*.

I would first try adding about 1/2 can of refrigerant and watch to see what happens with your pressures. I would expect to see 30-35psi on the low side and about 220-240psi on the high side with something less than a full can added. BUT....you will need to monitor your vent temps as you go. If you don't have a vent temp gauge, get one and use it. Otherwise you'll never be able to determine the point of diminishing returns. *adding more refrigerant no longer reduces vent temps*.

IF adding refrigerant to your system and staying within the windows *for ambient temp* doesn't produce cooler air at the vents or pressures get too high, then we need to look at air flow across/through your condenser or consider the possibility of air or contaminants in the system.

Remember, using gauges on a system does NOT tell us how much liquid refrigerant is in there. Just the pressure windows that we can compare to pressure/temperature charts. It's a best guess and assumes a lot with respect to the health of the rest of the system. ONLY by weighing in a charge can we be sure of the correct starting point. But that doesn't mean can't get you cooler air in most cases.
Top Off FT1.jpg

AC1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @flintknapper

I'll try adding coolant after I get a dash vent.

If that doesn't work, I think a proper vent, vacuum pull and recharge is in order. FSM shows 29.88 +/- 1.76 oz

Thanks @flintknapper

I'll try adding coolant after I get a dash vent.

If that doesn't work, I think a proper vent, vacuum pull and recharge is in order. FSM shows 29.88 +/- 1.76 oz

Yes Sir, exactly. 👍

Gauge shows 48 degrees, this is after driving around for about 5 minutes. However, it was cloudy and somewhat cool this morning.

I added half a can of refrigerant without any improvement.

I made an appointment tomorrow morning to evacuate and recharge the system.

IMG_4311.JPG

Curious how one determines how much oil to put back into a system once it's been evacuated?? Doesn't the oil, or some of it, stay behind in the system? IDK

Curious how one determines how much oil to put back into a system once it's been evacuated?? Doesn't the oil, or some of it, stay behind in the system? IDK

Yes, its a crap shoot because if the owner (present) hasn't ever had the system completely evacuated or replaced ALL of the component parts then you don't know how it has been serviced in the past.

'Some' technicians are bad about summarily adding oil with any 'top off' of the system. Having a 'little' too much oil won't affect the cooling capability appreciably....but a LOT too much will.

For a U.S. market 80 series *no rear air* you'll want about 7.5-8.0 ozs of PAG46 for the entire system (if starting dry).

IF the system has not been flushed....then it is to be assumed that the components (compressor, condenser, drier and evaporator) have all held 'some' amount of oil. Roughly 4 ozs in the compressor, about 2 in the condenser, an ounce or so in both the drier and evaporator. The FSM specifies the exact amounts to be added to each component when/if replaced...but those are rough figures.

So, yes....depending on what was done and how it was done....it's just a guess as to how much lubricating oil is in the system.

So if just evacuating and recharging the AC system say due to a slow leak, and no major components have been replaced, then no (or very little) extra oil would be needed, correct??

@uscmas412 I see you’re a fellow Floridian... if you were closer to the Tampa Bay Area, I could vac down your system and then we could recharge it (I have a vacuum pump and manifold gauge). Truth be told I’m suffering the same issue this year. I’ve replaced the TXV (expansion valve) and my Denso compressor & filter drier are only a few years old. I suspect it’s the lack of airflow, what with the old condenser and a high mileage fan clutch but have not put the time in to properly diagnose.

Truth be told, I think the best way to tune your A/C isn’t with by measuring the vent temp. but by checking your superheat & subcooling; those numbers wont lie.

Respectfully, I disagree about the significance of compressor oil measuring when replacing components. In my personal/professional experience with small/medium size heat-pumps, measuring the oil amount (after replacing the compressor) shows no significant difference in a very precise lab environment.

So if just evacuating and recharging the AC system say due to a slow leak, and no major components have been replaced, then no (or very little) extra oil would be needed, correct??

Exactly right. The refrigerant will carry a very small amount of oil out with it....but not much.

@uscmas412

Truth be told, I think the best way to tune your A/C isn’t with by measuring the vent temp. but by checking your superheat & subcooling; those numbers wont lie.

Yes, works well for residential applications where the tech is equipped to take such measurements. But few automotive techs/shops have the equipment or knowledgeable techs. So vent temps (what we are after anyway) gets the final say.
Respectfully, I disagree about the significance of compressor oil measuring when replacing components. In my personal/professional experience with small/medium size heat-pumps, measuring the oil amount (after replacing the compressor) shows no significant difference in a very precise lab environment.

Regardless, the point is to have enough lubricating oil to not cause premature wear on the compressor, nor so much that it coats the inner linings of the condenser and evaporator (reducing heat transfer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom