A/C Compressor pulley wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So last year it was the tensioner pulley that went out, now already this summer I have more A/C gremlins. I have searched and just want to make sure of what I think I know.

If the compressor pulley and belt wobble when the A/C is off the compressor pulley assembly is bad and can be replaced "simply".

If the compressor pulley and belt wobble when the A/C is switched ON the problem is in the compressor and the "best" fix is to replace the compressor?

I am experiencing the latter issue. Oh and with it I get a really bad squalling noise. I am pretty sure between the sight glass and the super cold air it was blowing prior to the wobble that my system is fully charged. After replacing my compressor will I have to recharge the system? Or is it not inline with the flow of refrigerant?

Thanks!

Mine did the same thing 2 years ago, on a camping trip 8 hrs from home. The noise came on with the a/c but the wobble was there all the time. You are going to have to replace the compressor, and recharge the system.

So last year it was the tensioner pulley that went out, now already this summer I have more A/C gremlins. I have searched and just want to make sure of what I think I know.

If the compressor pulley and belt wobble when the A/C is off the compressor pulley assembly is bad and can be replaced "simply".

If the compressor pulley and belt wobble when the A/C is switched ON the problem is in the compressor and the "best" fix is to replace the compressor?

I am experiencing the latter issue. Oh and with it I get a really bad squalling noise. I am pretty sure between the sight glass and the super cold air it was blowing prior to the wobble that my system is fully charged. After replacing my compressor will I have to recharge the system? Or is it not inline with the flow of refrigerant?
Thanks!

IMO, this is a "less than reliable" way to determine if the problem lies with your pulley bearing or is a compressor bearing.

But, to answer your question....if you only need to replace the pulley/clutch (and your system is already fully charged) then no other action should be needed.

If your compressor is knackered, it will need to be replaced along the drier/accumulator, a vacuum will need to pulled on it...and the system recharged (minimum). Personally, I'd have it flushed as well.

Ideally, you need to remove the belt(s) from the A/C compressor and manually check to see what is the cause of the wobble/noise.

So if I pull the belt, what is the test to determine pulley or compressor failure?

But, to answer your question....if you only need to replace the pulley/clutch (and your system is already fully charged) then no other action should be needed.

FWIW, it's difficult to get the clutch off with the compressor still mounted. I was able to somehow get the snap ring off that holds the magnetic clutch to the compressor, but in the process of tapping the clutch off, chipped off part of the nose cone lip. You really can only tap at it from one angle with the compressor mounted. The first thing to try may be to dismount the compressor and see if you can get the clutch off with the hoses still hooked.

FWIW #2, when I pulled the pulley off and checked it, the bearing appeared to be fine, no play. The only thing I can figured caused my wobble, was maybe the belt was too tight, and it actually cause the nose cone metal (pretty soft) to deform/compress over time, which also made it difficult to get the clutch to tap off (hung on the lip) and the subsequent chipping from a tap with the BFH.

FWIW #3, I had to get a new compressor, which I ended up purchasing a remaned unit of the internet. Had a leak from the get-go. I purchase a gasket kit and now I'm in the process of replacing the gaskets and shaft seal. Good thing I don't use my ac much. Point being, if you need and new compressor and decide to go the remaned route, I can tell who not to buy from.

:beer:
Rookie2

So if I pull the belt, what is the test to determine pulley or compressor failure?

Only thing I could figure was to pull the pulley and check to see if there is any play with the bearing that would be allowing the pulley to wobble. Sounds like you may be in the same boat I was in... i.e., not the pulley bearing.

BUMP!!

So what is the remedy for a wobbly a/c pulley as mine does it when compressor is ON?

Great news...How long until the compressor completely goes?

btw your link does not have any compressors for 1fz

Great news...How long until the compressor completely goes?

btw your link does not have any compressors for 1fz

It's anybody's guess how long it will go. If you aren't using the A/C, then I'd take the belts off.

All the gas engine 80 series use the same compressor, which is the $259 one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom