A/C clutch bearing replaced, now problems? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I did some needed PM on my LC today. I did the PHH and completely bypassed the heating as I live in AZ and have never used it, and there are to many points of failure for an unused item. The PHH was not hard IMHO, I removed the trans dipstick and access was tight but doable. With my Gates green-stripe and constant tension clamps I should never need to do it again.

More difficult I thought was the snap-ring that holds the A/C pulley behind the clutch. My clutch had been noisy so I suspected a bad bearing. I replaced it with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Santech-Indus...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Since the replacement the A/C sounds great and the noise is gone. But I have a new problem I believe. I had a single spacer in the clutch and reused it. I gently went over the contact surfaces of the clutch and pulley with a wire brush to remove the surface rust and promote better engagement. I also applied a SMALL amount of silicone lube to the pulley as it was a tight fit over the compressor when dry. The snap ring went on and I tested by attempting to pull the pulley back off and could not. Visual inspection with a mirror also looked good.

After running the A/C for a few minutes I turned it off and left the truck running. I can still see the clutch spinning, it is spinning much slower than when A/C is on and slow enough to see the rivets on the clutch. This tells me it is not engaged, but also not fully disengaging. The pulley is also CRAZY HOT to the touch. There are no noises at all. It would seem to me that the clutch needs another spacer but I put in the only one that was there, and I inspected closely. Any ideas?

The front hub should be stationary when the A/C is off, so you probably need another shim. the air-gap between the hub and pulley should be about .020".

Thank you, It's a tad smaller than a 10mm washer so I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom