93 80 series 1fz clutch replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
g'day fellers

I am doing a clutch replacement in my cruiser and I wanted to see if anyone has done it and what the procedure is.

It should be like any other clutch job, just with heavier parts than a car.. disconnect driveshafts or pull altogether. drop tcase, drop trans..replace clutch. and there lots of while your in there's that I would do as well.

Follow standard procedure from a workshop manual if you can find one for a manual transmission, check resources tab above.

Going from memory here, this is just a rough guide to get you going. Go to supercheap, get a 500mm 1/2" extension, worth every cent for this job.

Order a rear main seal.

It's an 80, don't trust it, handbrake on and chock the wheels anyway.
Remove transfer. It's heavy and wants to tilt once it's separated from the dowels.
Remove shift boots and carpet, disconnect transfer shift linkage
4 bolts for the transfer shifter mount, remove
Twist lock cap for the transmission gear selector. Push down, twist, pop her out.
Remove the fan from water pump.
Remove all electrical connectors. I think there may be a single connector in the harness to the box around the starter.
Remove breather lines.
Drop shafts.
Double check around the trans that there isn't anything cable tied anywhere etc, make sure it's all clear.
Remove clutch slave.
Drop the trans cross member, lower slowly. Everything will tilt back, don't stress, nothing will fall, but the fan will hit the rad if you didn't remove it.
Loosen bolts holding bellhousing to engine block, only 10mm or so, make sure there's still some bolt on those threads.
500mm extension used to get the top bolts, have someone underneath getting the socket onto the bolt, connect ratchet from inside the cab through the tunnel.
Pull on the trans, if it's a bit stuck and needs a bit of force to remove, the bolts will be you're safety net so it doesn't fall straight out.
Can be tight around the trans tunnel, I recall either pulling the back of the engine down with straps to help it stay tilted back/not snap back upright.
Once it's loose and ready to fall out, strap it to your trans jack.
Don't have one? Strong friend helps, one person holding rear of trans, one holding under bellhousing. Not that heavy between two people.
Remove flywheel, get it machined.
Replace rear main, give everything a good clean.

Replace clutch.

Installation is reversal of removal, can be an arse to lift the trans up and into place in that tunnel.

I'm sure there's more to it, but it's been a while. Great time to replace your clutch master & slave, also clean any grease from the undercarriage that has been shot out of the shaft uni's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom