97 seat heater install with factory switches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I know there is a whole other tread on this, but I wanted to write down my concise experience with my install. I had new seat covers from Land Cruiser Heaven installed this summer and while they installed them I had the upholstery shop install seat heats, but not the wiring. The ones my seat guy installed were metra IBHS1 like so Initially, I poured over wiring diagrams, tore apart the install kit to figure out how it was wired and drew lots and lots of diagrams. Turns out it was easier than I thought. To start, here are the things you need

Yazaki 090II connector pins, I think I only used the male, but I bought both. I got mine from corsa. Female. Male.
Connector pick tool, I bought the Wits End no frills model. Connector Pin Tool-basic
Obviously, you will need seat heaters. I wont go into installing the pads...because I didn't do them.
Swtichs. You need
1 x Seat Heater Switch Left side 80 Series (84751-60020) Seat Heater Switch Left side 80 Series [84751-60020] - $79.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts
1 x Seat Heater Switch Right side 80 Series (84751-60010) Search Results -> 84751-60010 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts
These are for the vertical switches to install in the center console. You can do horizontal switches too, but I wanted vertical. I got mine from CruiserParts.net. Be advised that Craig probably hates me for bugging him so much on these, but it's not his fault. They ship from Japan and with the current pandemic things are moving really slowly. I ordered mine July 31st and got them Nov 2. He worked hard to get them to me as quickly as he could.
I bought the housing connectors but I didn't need them except when I jacked up one side trying to remove a pin.

Okay, for the switches, this is the easy part.

20200915_141304.jpg
20200915_141222.jpg

Under the panel for the shifter there is a wire loom with 3 unused connectors. NOTE: Not all 80 series have these, but it seems all fzj80 have them while LX450 may not.
2 of them, an 8 pin and a 6 pin, are for the seat heaters, the last one is a 3 pin and Im pretty sure was for the fridge we didn't get, I'd like to look into this to see how its fused and how much current it can handle...it may be my future inverter install. Anyway, if you have these, you are golden, the switches come with pigtails that connect into the loom and because they are different pins you literally can't screw this part up.
20201102_150020.jpg

The trick, for me, was determining how to take the proper signal from the wires that come up to the seat and translate those to the aftermarket heaters. Im going to make your life easy right now. Coming from the after market pads are 2 sets of wires. Red and black each to 2 pin connectors. On the kit you will get you will notice that the wiring is a little funky, in that there are 3 wires, a red a black and 2 yellows that are joined such that a yellow goes to each connector and a red goes to one while a black goes to another. You will need to keep this part of the aftermarket loom and its connectors to simplify install.

20201206_142838.jpg

As you can see, P1 and P2 (Pad 1 and 2) have a red and a black each that comes to a connector, from there chop off a good length of the loom from the aftermarket loom including the connectors and the red/yellow/black wires, you will need at least 18 inches, more like 2 feet. When you connect that loom to the pads the wiring will go P1 red to red, P1 black to yellow, P2 red to yellow, P2 Black to free.

The wires you will connect red and yellow to are already under your seat in the 6 pins connectors. On the PS only 2 go from input to output on the connector - power for the seat and ground, the other 2 wires that are there on the in side but not on the out are blue with a black stripe and blue with an orange stripe. You will need to crimp the male Yazaki connector pins to the red and yellow wires from the seat heater kit loom and pin them into the connector where they would mate up with the pins coming in. Red goes to blue/blk, yellow goes to Blue/Orange. On the DS, there is a third wire (green) that I think powers the lumbar, but the rest is the same. The black wire needs to find ground, so you can either terminate it wherever you want that you think is a good chassis ground, or do like I did and add an inline wiretap to the white wire with the black stripe, which is the common ground for the seats.

NOTE: I don't think it matters how you wire them in terms of which pad goes first, P1 or P2, the wiring should be the same either way. That's it.

I will note that It was helpful for me to buy a spare connector because I mangled one pretty good getting the pin out plus I crimped a spare wire to a spare pin to practice unpinning. It's a PITA if you ask me, or I was doing it wrong. You put the tool in UNDER the pin with the effect to move down a plastic strip that is spring-loaded to move up with the pin inserted. They are solid connectors when inserted but kinda difficult to get them out. The 8 pin is 90980-10798 and the 6 pin is 90980-10796. They won't be in stock but they can be ordered. they are, of course, stupid money.

In case you, like me, want to know how they work so you don't accidentally fry something or in the event your colors aren't my colors, here is how they work.

When the switch is in high, Pins 2(1) and 7(5) are connected ( ) = right side pin. 2(1) is 12v input, 7(5) is output high. In Low pins 2(1) and 5(3) are connected.

In high, power goes from 2 to 7 which is blue/orange. That goes to yellow which goes P1 black AND P2 red. In this situation, P1 red becomes a ground at the switch so power goes in to blue/orange then out in parallel to each pad which has its own ground path (P1 red and P2 black). This means both pads get 12v and get toasty.

In low, power goes from 2 to 5 which is blue/black. That goes to P1 red which goes out through P1 black to yellow and then from yellow to yellow and then into P2 red and then out P2 black so that the power is going into the pads in series so that each pad only gets 6 volts. In this mode, the blue/orange wire is open in the switch so that no power flows back into the switch.

This is exactly how the aftermarket kit works, only with a DPST relay and a simple dpst switch.

Here is an important note: The factory kit had thermostats built into the seat heaters which switch off the power when a set temp has been reached so you dont overheat, these do not and the switches are latching. They won't turn on without the ignition being on, but if you had the passenger one on and forgot about it, it could get pretty hot in the summer.

So, how do they work?

See next post, this one says I've uploaded too many files.

20201202_165324.jpg

Last edited:
So I started at ~63 degrees and left them running for 33 minutes checking them at 5, 10, 20 and 35.

The numbers are

77 at 5 minutes
85 at 10 minutes
91 at 20 minutes
92 at 35.

They start to feel PRETTY warm after 20 minutes if left on high and sitting in them. Low is a little underwhelming, but it's there. It's nice to go high then switch to low.

Let me know if you have any questions while this is still fresh on my mind.

Can you post a picture of the switches installed on the center console? Thanks.

@hammerheadfistpunch, great work, but I’m such a noob with this electrical stuff... where is the blue/orange wire? Only one I see like that is coming from the factory looms under the center console where the switches go.

EDIT: Blue-orange coming out of the OEM seat heater switches matched up to a red-blue heading to the seat... as usual, multi-meters are your friend and I learned that lesson yet again. After popping in the key, flipping the seat heater switch to high, the red-blue was high, blue-black lo, and yep — white-black the ground. I’m ready for a warm backside in OEM switch style...

Last edited:
So I know there is a whole other tread on this, but I wanted to write down my concise experience with my install. I had new seat covers from Land Cruiser Heaven installed this summer and while they installed them I had the upholstery shop install seat heats, but not the wiring. The ones my seat guy installed were metra IBHS1 like so Initially, I poured over wiring diagrams, tore apart the install kit to figure out how it was wired and drew lots and lots of diagrams. Turns out it was easier than I thought. To start, here are the things you need

Yazaki 090II connector pins, I think I only used the male, but I bought both. I got mine from corsa. Female. Male.
Connector pick tool, I bought the Wits End no frills model. Connector Pin Tool-basic
Obviously, you will need seat heaters. I wont go into installing the pads...because I didn't do them.
Swtichs. You need
1 x Seat Heater Switch Left side 80 Series (84751-60020) Seat Heater Switch Left side 80 Series [84751-60020] - $79.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts
1 x Seat Heater Switch Right side 80 Series (84751-60010) Search Results -> 84751-60010 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts
These are for the vertical switches to install in the center console. You can do horizontal switches too, but I wanted vertical. I got mine from CruiserParts.net. Be advised that Craig probably hates me for bugging him so much on these, but it's not his fault. They ship from Japan and with the current pandemic things are moving really slowly. I ordered mine July 31st and got them Nov 2. He worked hard to get them to me as quickly as he could.
I bought the housing connectors but I didn't need them except when I jacked up one side trying to remove a pin.

View attachment 2517281View attachment 2517295
Under the panel for the shifter there is a wire loom with 3 unused connectors. NOTE: Not all 80 series have these, but it seems all fzj80 have them while LX450 may not.
2 of them, an 8 pin and a 6 pin, are for the seat heaters, the last one is a 3 pin and Im pretty sure was for the fridge we didn't get, I'd like to look into this to see how its fused and how much current it can handle...it may be my future inverter install. Anyway, if you have these, you are golden, the switches come with pigtails that connect into the loom and because they are different pins you literally can't screw this part up.
View attachment 2517296

The trick, for me, was determining how to take the proper signal from the wires that come up to the seat and translate those to the aftermarket heaters. Im going to make your life easy right now. Coming from the after market pads are 2 sets of wires. Red and black each to 2 pin connectors. On the kit you will get you will notice that the wiring is a little funky, in that there are 3 wires, a red a black and 2 yellows that are joined such that a yellow goes to each connector and a red goes to one while a black goes to another. You will need to keep this part of the aftermarket loom and its connectors to simplify install.

View attachment 2517300

As you can see, P1 and P2 (Pad 1 and 2) have a red and a black each that comes to a connector, from there chop off a good length of the loom from the aftermarket loom including the connectors and the red/yellow/black wires, you will need at least 18 inches, more like 2 feet. When you connect that loom to the pads the wiring will go P1 red to red, P1 black to yellow, P2 red to yellow, P2 Black to free.

The wires you will connect red and yellow to are already under your seat in the 6 pins connectors. On the PS only 2 go from input to output on the connector - power for the seat and ground, the other 2 wires that are there on the in side but not on the out are blue with a black stripe and blue with an orange stripe. You will need to crimp the male Yazaki connector pins to the red and yellow wires from the seat heater kit loom and pin them into the connector where they would mate up with the pins coming in. Red goes to blue/blk, yellow goes to Blue/Orange. On the DS, there is a third wire (green) that I think powers the lumbar, but the rest is the same. The black wire needs to find ground, so you can either terminate it wherever you want that you think is a good chassis ground, or do like I did and add an inline wiretap to the white wire with the black stripe, which is the common ground for the seats.

NOTE: I don't think it matters how you wire them in terms of which pad goes first, P1 or P2, the wiring should be the same either way. That's it.

I will note that It was helpful for me to buy a spare connector because I mangled one pretty good getting the pin out plus I crimped a spare wire to a spare pin to practice unpinning. It's a PITA if you ask me, or I was doing it wrong. You put the tool in UNDER the pin with the effect to move down a plastic strip that is spring-loaded to move up with the pin inserted. They are solid connectors when inserted but kinda difficult to get them out. The 8 pin is 90980-10798 and the 6 pin is 90980-10796. They won't be in stock but they can be ordered. they are, of course, stupid money.

In case you, like me, want to know how they work so you don't accidentally fry something or in the event your colors aren't my colors, here is how they work.

When the switch is in high, Pins 2(1) and 7(5) are connected ( ) = right side pin. 2(1) is 12v input, 7(5) is output high. In Low pins 2(1) and 5(3) are connected.

In high, power goes from 2 to 7 which is blue/orange. That goes to yellow which goes P1 black AND P2 red. In this situation, P1 red becomes a ground at the switch so power goes in to blue/orange then out in parallel to each pad which has its own ground path (P1 red and P2 black). This means both pads get 12v and get toasty.

In low, power goes from 2 to 5 which is blue/black. That goes to P1 red which goes out through P1 black to yellow and then from yellow to yellow and then into P2 red and then out P2 black so that the power is going into the pads in series so that each pad only gets 6 volts. In this mode, the blue/orange wire is open in the switch so that no power flows back into the switch.

This is exactly how the aftermarket kit works, only with a DPST relay and a simple dpst switch.

Here is an important note: The factory kit had thermostats built into the seat heaters which switch off the power when a set temp has been reached so you dont overheat, these do not and the switches are latching. They won't turn on without the ignition being on, but if you had the passenger one on and forgot about it, it could get pretty hot in the summer.

So, how do they work?

View attachment 2517337
When HI is on and the pads both get 12V in parallel, any explanation for why the LO switch (P1 red in your diagram) acts as another ground? I'd be afraid of running current back into the switch. Apparently it works, and I'm excited to get this going, I am just looking to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks a lot for a good write-up.

When HI is on and the pads both get 12V in parallel, any explanation for why the LO switch (P1 red in your diagram) acts as another ground? I'd be afraid of running current back into the switch. Apparently it works, and I'm excited to get this going, I am just looking to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks a lot for a good write-up.
In low the power needs to flow in series through the pads, in one, out the same one, in another, out the other. 12v+ from blue-black to p1 red, then to yellow then p2 red then out p2 black to ground. In this case there is a wire that goes to open (yellow/blue orange) inside the switch such that its not connected to anything in this mode and is ignored electrically such that its not there.

In High the power needs to go in parallel so it goes in blue orange to yellow to P1 black and P2 red. It leaves via P1 red and P2 black. P2 is always a ground path for p2 but p1 red becomes the ground path for P1 inside the switch.

Swtichs. You need

View attachment 2517281View attachment 2517295
View attachment 2517296

View attachment 2517300

So, how do they work?

View attachment 2517337
This won’t work on the Lexus LX450 correct?

In low the power needs to flow in series through the pads, in one, out the same one, in another, out the other. 12v+ from blue-black to p1 red, then to yellow then p2 red then out p2 black to ground. In this case there is a wire that goes to open (yellow/blue orange) inside the switch such that its not connected to anything in this mode and is ignored electrically such that its not there.

In High the power needs to go in parallel so it goes in blue orange to yellow to P1 black and P2 red. It leaves via P1 red and P2 black. P2 is always a ground path for p2 but p1 red becomes the ground path for P1 inside the switch.
Sounds simple enough. I think the idea of P1 red acting as a ground when HI is activated just freaked me out a little. I don't want to fry these switches since they aren't cheap. Thanks for the reassurance!

Sounds simple enough. I think the idea of P1 red acting as a ground when HI is activated just freaked me out a little. I don't want to fry these switches since they aren't cheap. Thanks for the reassurance!
I was in the same boat, so I found the internal diagram for the switches and painstakingly mapped it out. It all works as advertised.

This won’t work on the Lexus LX450 correct?
I can't say. You can pull the shift consol up and see if you have the wiring. I will say that the loom isn't really necessary, its a very short run of wires to the seat that you could easily do yourself. if you don't have the loom under there you could either buy the appropriate male Yazaki connectors and pins and build your own or just cut the factor harness on the switch and splice it in. The harness on the switch is plugs at both ends so you won't ruin the switch if you mess up on the wiring and have to start over. The only thing the factory loom supplies is power, the rest is just dead wires that trace the other loom in the area to the seats. It wouldn't be hard to run a power lead to the shift console location and build your own loom that does the exact same thing. You can make it as factory as you want with colored wire, split loom and yazaki connectors, or do it custom. First step would be to pull the shift console and find out.

For all who want to do their own homework on the switches (can't say I blame you) I used this.

Attachments

• Seat heater electrical diagram.pdf
    119.3 KB · Views: 308
Lastly, the kit I ordered DOES have internal thermal switches, the seats get HOT on high, but they will shut-off and thermal cycle. You can leave them on full-time if you don't mind the heat. Low is a little weak but its no worse than the full blast on the GX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom