'97 Front Knock Sensor Woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been fighting a code for the front knock sensor. I traced the wiring back to the ECU and it has good continuity. I replaced the sensor once and the code came back after 50 miles. I returned and replaced the sensor two more times and the code kept coming back. I spliced in a new pig tail and the code came back.

In a fit of desperation I did a ghetto splice from the rear knock sensor to the front knock sensor pig tail, and the code is not coming back after ten miles.

I do not have an occiloscope (sp?) to verify the actual signal passed by the sensor.

Question: did I install three bad cheap knock sensors from O'Reilly's? Should a genuine OEM sensor solve this headache?

Where were the O'Reilly Knock Sensor manufactured and could you post up a photo of them to include any part numbers or brand name/trademarks??

They were the cheap ones. Interestingly, I just checked their website and they now offer a more expensive one. I've read mixed things about the cheap knock sensors.

I had this issue with a rear knock sensor that I replaced with a cheap one. Use OEM in this instance for sure. And I believe that piezo(sp) crystal will only be making ‘noise’ if your engine is actually knocking. Some newer engine management systems can check to see if they’re functioning but I don’t think they were at this point with the brand new OBD II stuff. I may be wrong. There are some here who know a lot more than I do.

But, a new genuine Toyota knock sensor solved my trouble code.

Mine started tossing a code for the rear sensor, but I'd fubared the sensor wire when doing the PHH. Ended up ordering the sensor wire and a new sensor off PartSouq and replaced both a few weeks back and its been smooth sailing since. I'd hit the deck for a new TEQ sensor which was $116 a few weeks ago (89615-30050)

@Kungpaodog , could you tell us the brand name of the knock sensor you purchased, part number, etc, or better, post up a couple of photos showing the sensor and markings?

Reason I ask. a few years ago the knock sensor I purchased from O'Reillys Import Direct line of parts (~$40) was Made in Japan and had the exact same markings as were on the original knock sensors. It was apparently made by the same company that made the sensor for Toyota and it has worked without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom