95 Series Curious (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Firstly I know how ‘Mud is :flipoff2:, I’ve searched a lot on here and the internet. I’ve read most of the first 5-6 pages of threads in this section. Now that that’s out of the way… lol.

Good afternoon all. I’ve come over here from the 80 section. I’ve owned/driven 80’s for over 25 years. I learned to drive in my parents FJ80 when I was 12. My dad flew gliders at a massive and privately owned former naval air base in the middle of KS. Private property and I’d have the run of the place, and the ‘Cruiser, pretty much all summer. When I was 22 I bought my first FJ80. I’ve had two FJ80’s, a ‘93 FZJ80 and a ‘96 LX450. I own the FZJ and the LX currently. So, I guess you could say they have a special place in my heart.

That being said, I think I’ve come to the realization as I’ve gotten to my late 30’s and contemplate having kids that they’re overkill for my use. And getting more and more expensive to daily drive and justify daily driving.

We just got back from 12 days in Scotland and the RHD was not a problem at all, it made me heavily reconsider JDM’s. Specifically I have been eyeing the KZJ/VZJ95’s. Replacement parts seem to be easy to come by, and easier to work on than 80’s. And the capabilities seem more in line with my style of camping. I don’t do a lot of off-roading for the sake of off-roading. More of off-roading to get to cool spots with less people, forest roads and trails in CO, etc. And they are lighter, and more fuel efficient getting there.

Another consideration is that I’ve had an ‘01 Tacoma 5spd and loved it. Power was plenty for me as well as its off-road abilities. I am open to the 1KZ-TE or the 5VZ-FE, in my heart I want the diesel. Want the manual regardless of engine.

I’d like to hear peoples experiences in real world driving edit: and real world mpg with either engine in the USA. Mostly highway speed experiences. I know the gasser is powerful enough. How does the diesel do in the US? I drive trucks for a living, so have no problem being patient as far as passing. But can it cruise comfortably at 70, 75, 80mph? What rpm does it like to be at? We go to CO several times a year. Would the 1KZ be able to handle the passes at a non road hazard speed? I know the cooling system needs to be in primo shape, and would do boost and EGT gauges. I’ve read a lot on upping the boost to help drop temps, and other mods to help increase longevity. Not sure I’d want to dick around with fueling or not.

I am working under the thought process that a 95 series is going to be more road friendly than my 2.5” lifted, 35” tired 80. In all of your experience, is this correct, or am I off base? Had also looked at KZJ78’s, but I don’t think that would be a step up in road manners even though I love their looks.

My old boss, oddly enough, just bought a KZJ95 with the auto. He absolutely loves it, and that kind of opened my eyes to them. I’ll be driving that soon when I get a chance to go to where he lives. But it’s still flat there, and won’t really give me a good feel for it on longer term driving.

Thanks so much all! I appreciate any and all experiences and thoughts.

Caveat: I've had mine for less than a month. Have not owned an 80, but have driven several on and off-road. Also had a '99 Tacoma 4WD with the 4 banger a few years ago. I've put about 1,000 kms on my 90 so far, including an off-road driving course and a few 1-2hr long highway trips. My 90 is a SWB 1KZ-TE auto.

Around town, the 1KZ-TE has more grunt than the 4 cylinder Taco, even with 31" tires and a 1.5" lift. I'm not winning a lot of stoplight drag races, but I'm not a speed bump either. Merging on the highway is the same story. Get the turbo spooled up and the 90 has plenty of scoot. She tends to run out of breath above 120 kph or so, especially if there's any kind of slope. Was up in the mountains this weekend and there were a couple of long slopes that holding 120 kph was a bit of a struggle, but holding 100 kph was possible everywhere. Flatter ground she'll hold 130 kph all day long. Even passed a couple of drivers on the backroads yesterday and it wasn't white knuckle.

Average fuel economy over that distance has been 18mpg.

What I like: Most of the parts are easily available in the US. The road manners are definitely more modern than the 80. We were able to hang with a group of 80's and a Rubicon all day at the driving course, even though we have IFS and open diffs. I particularly enjoyed that the 90 could do 1.5 hrs comfortably on the highway, 9 hours of low-speed off-road driving, and then 1.5 hours comfortably home, all with the A/C running full blast the entire time. I also love that the 90 was about half the price of a comparable 80.

What I dislike: The 90 is more 4Runner than 80 series. The 1KZ-TE takes more encouragement than I'd like on long highway climbs, but I'm hoping to address that.

Caveat: I've had mine for less than a month. Have not owned an 80, but have driven several on and off-road. Also had a '99 Tacoma 4WD with the 4 banger a few years ago. I've put about 1,000 kms on my 90 so far, including an off-road driving course and a few 1-2hr long highway trips. My 90 is a SWB 1KZ-TE auto.

Around town, the 1KZ-TE has more grunt than the 4 cylinder Taco, even with 31" tires and a 1.5" lift. I'm not winning a lot of stoplight drag races, but I'm not a speed bump either. Merging on the highway is the same story. Get the turbo spooled up and the 90 has plenty of scoot. She tends to run out of breath above 120 kph or so, especially if there's any kind of slope. Was up in the mountains this weekend and there were a couple of long slopes that holding 120 kph was a bit of a struggle, but holding 100 kph was possible everywhere. Flatter ground she'll hold 130 kph all day long. Even passed a couple of drivers on the backroads yesterday and it wasn't white knuckle.

Average fuel economy over that distance has been 18mpg.

What I like: Most of the parts are easily available in the US. The road manners are definitely more modern than the 80. We were able to hang with a group of 80's and a Rubicon all day at the driving course, even though we have IFS and open diffs. I particularly enjoyed that the 90 could do 1.5 hrs comfortably on the highway, 9 hours of low-speed off-road driving, and then 1.5 hours comfortably home, all with the A/C running full blast the entire time. I also love that the 90 was about half the price of a comparable 80.

What I dislike: The 90 is more 4Runner than 80 series. The 1KZ-TE takes more encouragement than I'd like on long highway climbs, but I'm hoping to address that.
Thanks for the reply! I’ve driven a 4 cylinder taco extensively as well. I feel like the 5vzfe is quite a bit peppier.

Where do you live, if yiu don’t mind me asking. Trying to get an idea in mind if what types of hills you mention. I like that the 95’s seem bigger than a comparable 4Runner. Slightly, but still bigger. At least it seems to be.

I’m in NC. Our mountains are a little older than yours, so my experience may not quite translate.

I’m curious to hear from others on this thread… are my experiences holding 120 kph normal, or do I need to chase some issues down?

@mjosoba your situation sounds a lot like mine. I love my 80 but I don't use it for what I built it to do anymore and as much as I love it I'm thinking of switching to the Prado. #following for future input on this topic

I like the
@mjosoba your situation sounds a lot like mine. I love my 80 but I don't use it for what I built it to do anymore and as much as I love it I'm thinking of switching to the Prado. #following for future input on this t
I like the KZJ78, but I feel like the KZJ95 fits me the best, nowadays.

@mjosoba I agree 100%, the style of the KZJ78 is way cooler, but also more $$. I've been doing a lot of looking and reading up on exporting one. I found a site called pacific cost auto Pacific Coast Auto - https://www.pacificcoastjdm.com/ that seems pretty legit. They also have a series on Youtube that shows you how to work the auction searches and it's free. I've seen these sell from between 7k to 10k at auction and after you add shipping, paperwork, and all the logistic stuff it doesn't seem unreasonable to get a good one for around 10-12K or around there. Which is crazy when I see import sellers asking 22-25K. My wife thinks I'm crazy for -looking into these going from 1994 to 1996 doesn't seem like a huge upgrade but I don't want an upgrade I just want a bit more comfort and a diesel :rofl:.. the only real downside I can think of is the rear door not being like the 80, I would lose the tailgate option for when I carry lumber or long items but I've been saying I want a trailer for some time so that would fix that issue., but she sees that as me just getting more stuff....

Last edited:
And since I'm still looking this one is for sale in NJ and looks pretty good

@mjosoba I agree 100%, the style of the KZJ78 is way cooler, but also more $$. I've been doing a lot of looking and reading up on exporting one. I found a site called pacific cost auto Pacific Coast Auto - https://www.pacificcoastjdm.com/ that seems pretty legit. They also have a series on Youtube that shows you how to work the auction searches and it's free. I've seen these sell from between 7k to 10k at auction and after you add shipping, paperwork, and all the logistic stuff it doesn't seem unreasonable to get a good one for around 12K or around there. Which is crazy when I see import sellers asking 22-25K. My wife thinks I'm crazy for looking into these going from 1994 to 1996 doesn't seem like a huge upgrade but I don't want an upgrade I just want a bit more comfort and a diesel :rofl:.. the only real downside I can think of is the rear door not being like the 80, I would lose the tailgate option for when I carry lumber or long items but I've been saying I want a trailer for some time so that would fix that issue., but she sees that as me just getting more stuff....
That's what @spyrobyte and I did recently... I paid about $10,5k landed in Newport News, VA for mine. That included all fees, shipping, insurance, customs brokers etc. I don't know that I'd recommend the importer I used without reservations, but @spyrobyte seemed pretty happy with his. It was ~5 mos from placing the bid to picking it up. Also the yen is weak, so you might be able to do better than I did.

Hello mjosoba,

I've had three 95 Prado's since 2012. The second one was a mistake being a RZJ95 :( but the KZJ95's are amazing.:) We just came back from a trip to southern Utah pulling a 1000lbs trailer. (Caught a little of the annual Cruise Moab action!)
I have made that trip now four times with a KZJ and it handles it beautifully (5500 klm). A lot of that trip is 80 MPH and it has no problem. Like was suggested on a hill she works pretty hard but I'm not 19 anymore so not an issue. My 1KZ-TE's have not been modified in any way... just carefully maintained. Fuel burn is about 19 us mpg for normal driving.
I did own an LJ78 being the same as the KZJ78 except for the sad little 2L-TE engine. I far prefer the KZJ95 handling. Just depends what it's used for.
These vehicles in my estimation are an excellent engine/chassis combination.
Good luck with your search/purchase. Let us know how it goes. I have heard Pacific Coast Auto is a good choice.
Cheers K.

@6894kevin -Excellent info, I’ll get on those videos! Thank you. It might be hearsay in reading the threads, but I’ve heard the 95 1KZTE is somehow improved over the 78 1KZTE. Any thoughts on that? I assumed the the adoption of the intercooler, it I’ve seen threads mention it being ‘fixed’ on the 90 series.

@apexwerks Good info, thanks to you too. Have you got a thread detailing your purchase? The Newport News seems familiar, but I’ve read so many threads I can’t remember them all.

@buggyboy7 Thanks for that first hand info and experience. Any thread write up for you?

I believe any intercooler diesel is better but I'm no expert and have only started really digging into these in the past month or so.

Yes, that was a needed mod incorporated on the 90 series 1KZ-TE. I've heard about quite a few cases of the non inter cooled 1KZ's in the vans and 78's having cracked heads.
I have a personal experience with having to put a new head on my first KZJ95 but this was after I sold it to my son and he worked it way too hard with a huge trailer load.
I see guys in Aus put scoops on the hood and even fans under the inter cooler but I haven't had any issues and have worked them pretty hard in some high temps.
The stock hood induction to the cooler I believe is very effective and well engineered. I keep an eye on the viscous fan clutch also as they can fail over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom