94 Overdrive Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas I am new to the FJ realm and am having problems with the overdrive switch on my 80. Now I have searched the forum, but have not found anything that produced any results. I've used a meter to test that the switch works, it does. The OD2 pin at the transmission module has 12v, the connector when unplugged from the module has 12v. I'm stumped as to where to go from here any help would be appreciated.

What is it doing/not doing?

Are you referring to the ECT switch on the dash? All that does is control the shift points in the tranny. It'll keep you in a 'passing gear' longer, etc. The OD button on the shifter will just prevent the engine from shifting into OD. Could your dash light on that just be burned out?

Sorry re-reading that I did not really describe the problem. The overdrive switch on the shifter is not working. The light is not coming on, and the truck does not shift out of overdrive when the button is pressed.

bump

So reading the FSM I should have either 12v or 0v between the OD2 pin and ground, depending on the position of the OD switch. I have 12v all the time and not being the most knowledgeable electrician I assume this indicates a short to ground.

Last edited:
So reading the FSM I should have either 12v or 0v between the OD2 pin and ground, depending on the position of the OD switch. I have 12v all the time and not being the most knowledgeable electrician I assume this indicates a short to ground.

Does the switch actually change positions when pushed, or does it just stay in, or out? When I first got my 80 I frequently did not push quite hard enough to get the switch to change positions, so it would stay in 4th gear ( OD ).

Does the switch actually change positions when pushed, or does it just stay in, or out? When I first got my 80 I frequently did not push quite hard enough to get the switch to change positions, so it would stay in 4th gear ( OD ).

^^^^ My switch was the same. It went in, but had no effect on OD. I soaked the switch in contact cleaner, cycled it several dozen times, and it works fine now.

Yes the switch makes, I've checked it with a voltmeter, I'm stumped.

Yes the switch makes, I've checked it with a voltmeter, I'm stumped.

Bad socket connection down on the bellhousing? I know the harness has several right there with some history of problems.

I'll check there today, didn't even consider that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom