'94 KZJ78, 350k km, bone stock, buy or pass @$10k? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

staggrlee

GOLD Star
Threads
I've got a couple US spec Cruisers but know nothing about the Prado KZJs. Came across a JDM 1994 with 350,000km listed for $10k. Bone stock (including radio) with the exception of tint. Has some undercarriage rust but, body looks good. Just saw it in a drive-by and am considering looking at it more closely for a seasonal summer vehicle at family property.

Not sure if the local PNW prices I'm seeing are stupid BAT prices and $10k is just reasonable, or actually a great deal.

PXL_20211017_181111305 - Copy.jpg

As long as it isn't a complete rust bucket and the drivetrain is in good running order that's probably not a bad deal, especially considering you pretty much can't get a decent US spec 60 or 80 for that kind of price anymore.

1KZ is pretty good so what would you swap in ? Or is the JDM 1KZT-E as bad as the JDM 2LT-E with the emmision crap and computer ?

Just do EGR delete, intercool/tune, maybe new head if it needs it, and good to go. More power potential than a N/A 1HZ; and at least as tough as a turbo'ed 1HZ. Generally 1KZ are considered fine engines.

The 1KZ TE has been in Australia since 1994-95. It doesn't have any hidden surprises. The aluminium core radiator with plastic tanks needs to be kept in good condition and the electronic gadget on the injection pump can play up, but the engine seems sound with regular maintenance. Many of them reach 400000klms.

Hello, they are in good condition in Europe for 20,000+ €.
For me, the 1KZ-TE is a good engine that can handle far more than 300,000 km.

What they said, KZJ78 is a good medium-duty 4wd. They're steadily increasing in value here in NZ. I would budget for the possibility of a new head & engine rebuild, most of 'em will go past 400K km but not all. Also plan to swap out the electric locking hubs for manual.

Cheers
Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom