94 FZJ80 Instrument Panel Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All - So I've been digging in to baselining my "new" 94 FZJ80. After replacing all Vacuum Lines (truck idles much better now surprisingly) I removed my instrument panel after following a thread here to replace it with one I bought from a 96 with nearly identical miles. The reason why I replaced it was because Cruise wouldn't light up, the Speedo wouldn't work, the odometer and trip meter was inoperable, and the "D" wouldnt light. I went ahead and replaced the bulbs in the new donor panel with LEDs. After removing and plugging in the new panel sporadic stuff was goofed up like my gas gauge peaked out to full even though I have a half tank and no lights went on minus P, R, N, 2, and L. The warning light above the amp meter turned on, new buttons lit up such as diff, and cruise control which didn't light up before. No blinkers worked on the new panel (didn't light up on the panel nor activate the turn signals in the LC). Long short I tried installing the LEDs differently as per another thread.. nothing. SO.... I put the old cluster back on. Once I put the old cluster back on I have the following NEW lights on cluster shown engine just started after cold sit (minus door ajar):

- A/T OIL Temp. LC was started cold after two nights sitting so this doesn't make sense?
- Brake. Parking brake fully lowered and up doesn't matter it now stays on.
- Oil. Fluids were flushed and filled. Has full oil
- Amp Light - This light is new

NOW with the old cluster back on I have blinkers back and cluster lights up albeit with the old bulbs. The Cruise control light will not come on if I turn cruise control on. If I hit the OD switch there is no light. I didn't take it for a spin so I am going to assume my speedo and odo wont work. AND my wipers turn on but stay at the same SLOW speed (no Hi)

Does the ECU have to re learn somehow? Any reason why my speedo and Odometer wont work, and any reason why once I put my old cluster back in the new A/T Oil Temp stays on after start along with the Oil light and AMP meter? I replaced all fuses under the dash afterwards, restarted and it did nothing. Any help would be appreciated. I suck at electrical so you may have to dumb it down for me! :)

Cluster.jpg

I'll add that the donor Instrument Cluster was from a 96 so maybe it wasn't compatible although I was told it was. No burn/short marks on the back of either cluster so I don't think that common issue I have seen was a problem either. I had a squeal at cold start up before trying to change out the cluster. Interesting thing was that when I put the donor cluster on and started, I got the squeal with the red batt light and when turning on the wipers the squeal intensified and the amp meter bottomed out low until pushing the accelerator when it went up so it looked like there was a draw showing with the donor. Now with the old cluster back on I have the red light on that wasn't previously on before I removed it but the amps show steady versus fluctuating when I turn on A/C, wipers, etc.

Last edited:
Check your alternator and batt, all lights on like that is a sign of bad alt, plus your volt meter where the red light is on looks to be centered that is low , if belt is squealing might need tightened up only to get alt output back

After doing a lot of research on here ive come to find out a 96 cluster isn't compatible with a 94. Speedo is however and I will cannibalize the 96's speedo and throw that into the 94's cluster.

Beat me to it. I was going to say canabalize your 96 for lights and speedo. That's what I did with my 93 when the trip odometer and regular odometer didn't work. If it doesn't fix the issue look at the speed sensors and speed sensor wiring underneath. I believe one controls the cruise function I just dont remember which one. Also, slow wipers have nothing to do with the ecu, alternator should be tested just to make sure you dont have an issue later down the road when you're in an undesirable or unforgiving spot broke down.

Beat me to it. I was going to say canabalize your 96 for lights and speedo. That's what I did with my 93 when the trip odometer and regular odometer didn't work. If it doesn't fix the issue look at the speed sensors and speed sensor wiring underneath. I believe one controls the cruise function I just dont remember which one. Also, slow wipers have nothing to do with the ecu, alternator should be tested just to make sure you dont have an issue later down the road when you're in an undesirable or unforgiving spot broke down.

Thanks for the point on the speed sensor. I went ahead and bought a new VSS at the transmission, replaced it and had no success on the cruise control or speedo. I still have to get in there and replace the speedo, odometer and "D" light that is out. Tach works fine and after replacing the alternator, the voltage on my gauge has ticked up with the light going off now. Noob question but it seems im missing another speed sensor outside of the one that goes into the transmission? Maybe that is the culprit if there is another sensor?

I've cleaned up my NSS and that cleared out a condition where I put it in drive and I crawl forward but it didn't resolve the cruise control or speedo.... When engaging the cruise control on the column the dash light comes on but cruise wont engage.

Should be a speed sensor on the transfer case as well as the transfer case adapter housing that goes between the transmission and t-case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom