92 Prado LJ78 front e hub problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the best replacement manual hub to cure this problem? Left side locks, right side does not.

The best is regular toyota/aisin manual hub parts. Find a 1978+ fj40, fJ60 or solid axle mini truck that is being parted out. Grab the spindles/hubs/Aisin freewheel assembly and all associated hardware from the front axle. Buy all the appropriate gaskets and new wheel bearings etc. Do a complete knuckle rebuild and brake renewal at the same time.

Moving away from e-hubs is one of the best things I've done. I used 1976 fj40 parts, so the rotor bolts on instead of presses onto the hub, but all the parts worked perfect. I didn't want to use the old Warn hubs, so bought a new set of Aisin hubs from partsouq.

Pictures of when I did it last year: LJ78 Elec to Manual Hub - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOUMGJSZdJQqdVsXYXSf7P-0JrfM6Zodc1XydGsKbY6yzOojIS1-ezzeiRyH2oE0g?key=TldpR1VoQXZQMlFLWHFzWTAxQUlYWF9ZeVZqYzlB

Is the required changing of several parts required for the AVM hubs?

Is the required changing of several parts required for the AVM hubs?

AVMs are the easiest, but also the weakest. Depends on how you use your truck really. They would be most economical and reliable enough for a mostly road vehicle.

AVMs are the easiest, but also the weakest. Depends on how you use your truck really. They would be most economical and reliable enough for a mostly road vehicl

Are the AVM hubs just a direct bolt on once I remove my ehubs?

Are the AVM hubs just a direct bolt on once I remove my ehubs?
Yes they replace the e hubs. You also need to remove the studs that held the e hub on. The new AVM hubs come with all required hardware.
PXL_20210205_222851250.jpg
PXL_20210205_231810946.jpg

PXL_20210205_235138719.jpg

Last edited:
AVM 463 is correct. apart from a small internal difference they are all the same fitted to the 70# series Prado's and Landcruisers.
Thank you for the help. Hubs ordered, now I wait.

Shermantank55, where did you get the replacement, correct size bolts to replace the studs?

10-4, they sent me a tacoma kit 464, I hope by accident.

Radd Cruisers also makes a conversion kit for AISIN hubs, Manual Locking Hub Adapter Kit to replace Toyota Power Locking Hubs - https://radd-cruisers.shoplightspeed.com/electric-locking-hub-adapters-kit-with-2-plates-ha.html, paired up with new hubs from Cruiser Outfitters. Works like a champ now.
This was a great thread and thank you for the reference to RADD CRUISERS! Glad to have another supplier on hand.
They had the Electric Locking Hub Adapter Kit that I needed for our HZJ73 - soon to be off to the races!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom