‘92 FJ80 Starting Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m wondering if I could get some advice. Some background, I was driving my car in the heat for a few hours prior to this occurring. After stopping the car, I tried starting it up again. Multiple times it would start and immediately rev to about 1300 rpm’s and drop dead after. After multiple attempts to hit the gas pedal during this, nothing worked. After awhile it simply wouldn’t start. I immediately checked my efi relay and it was extremely hot tried replacing it with the high speed fan relay nothing worked. This new relay got to the same temperature almost immediately. I recently had my charcoal canister filter replaced because it left high pressure in the gas tank and a fuel smell. After awhile I swapped the high speed fan relay with the original efi one I had in and it started after two tries. Any suggestions on preventing this in the future or a concrete cause of my problems?

Switch to a newer style plastic relay and wrap your fuse box with insulation or make a heat shield.

1682093867824.png

these can be found in newer cars. They have better heat resistance.

Toyota part# 28300-16010
However, you should read through the document I posted earlier before replacing part
The document is very useful however, it seems to me I can only look for these symptoms whenever it happens again. This is something I can't seem to replicate and has only happened one other time I remember. Should I go about testing the equipment regardless of whether it is working fine currently?

The document is very useful however, it seems to me I can only look for these symptoms whenever it happens again. This is something I can't seem to replicate and has only happened one other time I remember. Should I go about testing the equipment regardless of whether it is working fine currently?
just replace the EFI relay with a plastic ones and keep a couple in your glove box. It will happen again next time you drive long distance as the exhaust manifold heats up the relay box on the drive side. You won't be able to replicate this problem if your just running errands or commute short distance.

I bought my son a 1991 and on the way home with it I stopped for gas and it would not restart. I pulled the EFI relay and waved it around in the air a couple of minutes and reinstalled it and the truck started right up. When I stopped at the next spot the truck would no start. So I pulled the EFI relay again, waved it around, reinstalled it and the truck started right up. I then replaced the EFI relay.

Not the most sophisticated diagnostic effort but effective.

As the document states, you should be aware of the check engine light. It should always illuminate with the key in the ON position before cranking the starter. If the CEL is lit and she still won't start, then the issue lies elsewhere. No CEL =no start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom