92 FJ80....NO Heat! Anything to Look For? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We bought a 92 LC about 5 months ago and moved to Colorado last month. Its cold, turned on the heat and it gets slightly warm at best. Not hot enough to defrost the windshield, not hot enough to warm your hands up. The levers on the HVAC controls all seem to work right and not feel tight. You can hear things clicking/sliding when you move them. Just didnt know if there was something common on this year to check out. Thanks for the help in advance.

Check to make sure the heater control valve is opening all the way up. Its in the engine bay top of the motor by the fire wall. Then check to see how hot the supply and return lines are getting for the heater core. It could be a clogged heater core. Hope not that job is not fun.

As above
Check that your rad is topped off.

Maybe you have a colder thermostat installed than OEM which is 195 F

Check to make sure the heater control valve is opening all the way up. Its in the engine bay top of the motor by the fire wall. Then check to see how hot the supply and return lines are getting for the heater core. It could be a clogged heater core. Hope not that job is not fun.

^THIS^
no flow through the heater core = no heat.
maybe its time for a full system flush...

Likely the T Stat, or gasket are not OEM, or it doesn't have the O Ring installed on the top.

Aftermarket thermostats aren't quite as tall as OEM (in my experience) making the O Ring ineffective. I ordered a factory thermostat, and it didn't come with an o ring, so beware of that. Order a gasket, an o ring, and a thermostat and you'll be in good shape.

2F_project_109.jpg

I have a '92 and it had the same problem last winter. I had a disintegrated T-stat.
However, when I replaced it, I still did not have heat.
I pulled the heater hoses and GENTLY blew compressed air through the reverse of the water path.
That cleared any blockage.
Replaced hoses.
Heats like an oven.

Cheers!!

If I get a flat tire I check my T-stat....seriously, things always end up being the T-stat for me...just my luck I guess. I replaced one years ago in my chevy and the new one was defective....ALWAYS check it. A system flush and OEM T-stat as mentioned above will likely cure your problem...I hope you get it fixed bro! No heat is poo poo.

Likely the T Stat, or gasket are not OEM, or it doesn't have the O Ring installed on the top.

Aftermarket thermostats aren't quite as tall as OEM (in my experience) making the O Ring ineffective. I ordered a factory thermostat, and it didn't come with an o ring, so beware of that. Order a gasket, an o ring, and a thermostat and you'll be in good shape.

View attachment 1169944
I had very similar experience... My gasket was not sealed properly and my temp gauge behaved erratically and I had little heat. Swapped out the gasket and all was good.

Cleaning the heater core isn't that bad of a project. And you'll be glad you did it. There is all kinds of s*** that collects in there. I did mine last year and it was filled with leaves and dirt.

My heat is almost too freaking hot. I can't run my heat all the way hot. It's face melting. And I live in Iowa. So it gets cold here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom