'91 wont start,crank or even click (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 91 has sat for a while but i need to get it going for this winter, however it has always started. last time i started it was a couple months ago and a trans line blew when i shifted into drive. i have now repaired that issue and now when i turn the key nothing happens. i have power, lights, radio, exc. i ran a jump from battery to starter and got the starter gear to kick on so i dont think its the starter, because i get nothing with the turn of the key. i am worthless when it comes to electrical issues, and i hate to start replacing parts that dont need it..any ideas would be a great help.

Welcome to Mud :flipoff2: (Mud salute). Wait for the 3FE experts to chime in but in the meantime does the check engine light come on when you turn the ignition key to ON?

Just so you have something to do while others chime in..

Check your fusible links. These look like 3 wires coming out of the battery's + terminal, inside each of these wires is a fusible link, which could be blown and no voltage will run by them.

Check for continuity or voltage on the fusible link end.

Here's a pic of what the fusible llink look like..

attachment.php

Push up on the gear selector while trying to start. Could be neutral start not kicking in. Mine is doing that. Wife hates it. Stuck for 20 minutes all she had to do was touch the handle.

batteries will start to sulfate after four months

Was the battery disconnected to prevent current drain to keep the onboard computer, modules and radio memory alive? That will drain the battery in four months.

Between four to six months after the battery is nearly dead, charging will not reverse the sulfation out of the plates, rendering a new battery replacement required. Only way to prevent this, is put a trickle charger on the battery at all times.

Batteries do not like to be discharged beyond a curtain point before the the batteries life is shortened. How old is the battery? Batteries usually last five years.

it was on when i bought it a year or so ago..guy said needs O2 sensor

i will have to go get a new one and try it out...thanks , looks like a dealer part

yes the battery is fine, it was out of my everyday vehicle, and i used it to jump directly to the starter and got it to kick in gear

wow i was hoping that would work, just tried it and got nothing, part is expensive, any other way to test if it is bad

Hi, EFI in black fuse box under hood on drivers fender. Mike

Check the cable connection at the starter. (Hot wire from the battery) Mine has corroded twice in 10 years to the point that it wont start, click, nothing. Just as you describe.

Easy to get to from under the truck on the passenger side.

Unhook this connection, clean it with a wire brush, reconnect and you are golden.

BTW, the last time this happened to me I noticed that the cable seemed very hard, almost brittle. I have researched replacement battery cables and there is a guy here on MUD making sets for the 3FE using welding cable. I need to buy a set, just haven't got around to it yet.

HTH

pdmcgee: which part are you referring to as being expensive? The fusible links are only around $12 in the US.

Last edited:
Check neutral safety switch connections

I had this same problem on my '91. After ruling out the battery, fusible links, and starter, I found the problem to be the connections for the neutral safety switch. There are two round connectors, one white and one gray, on the passenger side of the 3FE by the oil dipstick. I found the terminals had corroded which was causing intermittent connection and thus, the no start condition. I hope this helps.

EFI and engine sensors have zero to do with the starter circuit.

The motor side of the starter is connected directly to the battery.
The logic for the starter circuit follows FL AM1; 50 amp Fuse AM1; ignition switch; neutral start switch; starter.

That's the whole shebang. You can pull every other fuse and circuit out of the truck and the starter will still crank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom