91 HDJ81 rear rotors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been sifting through the threads on here and honestly I don’t see a clear answer. I need to replace my rear rotors, so are there any brands or distributors in the US that can supply these or will I be ordering from out of the country?

Depends on where your 80 is from. Have you tried machining them?

I have plans to do a 1997 lx450 brakeswap.

I’m doing the whole kit with stop tech rotors and pads.

I am also replacing all my rear parking brakes hardware parking brake cable and backing plates just so it’s easier to get parts in N/A

Unless you have 93+ backing plates for you 90-92 Cruiser you will be unable to upgrade your rear discs.

My dad has got them on eBay for his 90 HDJ81, EBI cruisers in PoCo may have them still, I don't know many other places where you could get them.

It’s JDM, and I’ve had them turned once, since I’ve owned the vehicle

A lot of this depends on the month/year. Then you can determine the part number, then you can begin to see who can supply what.
This number would suit 1/90- 12/94 "42431-60080". Its the same as EUR and ARL FJ/HZJ/HD models.
Megazip want $315USD EACH delivered. They are about $90 AUD plus delivery for aftermarket types from Australia. Ive used them with no problems, but I like the DBA type better for the extra $$. $280 a pair

Depending on how much the first machining took off, you can sometimes turn them twice. I think they can lose 1mm total.

A lot of this depends on the month/year. Then you can determine the part number, then you can begin to see who can supply what.
This number would suit 1/90- 12/94 "42431-60080". Its the same as EUR and ARL FJ/HZJ/HD models.
Megazip want $315USD EACH delivered. They are about $90 AUD plus delivery for aftermarket types from Australia. Ive used them with no problems, but I like the DBA type better for the extra $$. $280 a pair

Depending on how much the first machining took off, you can sometimes turn them twice. I think they can lose 1mm total.

Thanks for the information, I’m not sure how much was removed on the first turn or how many times those rotors have been turned, I’ve owned the LC a little over a year. I’ll look into ordering the new ones from Aus.

I’ve been sifting through the threads on here and honestly I don’t see a clear answer. I need to replace my rear rotors, so are there any brands or distributors in the US that can supply these or will I be ordering from out of the country?

I was helping a friend look into this recently. I think he is going to upgrade to the larger rotors if he can find the shields. However, I did find this was one of the best deals out there for the early HDJ81 rotors: BRAKE DISC / ROTOR FRONT (286MM) VENTED (OEM 43512-60050) Not sure how much shipping etc. would be; would be interesting to know.

I brought a set of those for my 80 series rear axle a few weeks ago. I know Steve @extremebends in vancouver carries them. I'm sure he ships stateside all the time. Probably the fastest route for you. Also there is a place north of me on Vancouver Island that carries a bunch of JDM cruiser stuff. Coombs Country Auto Repair is the name of the place. Might be worth a call?

4243160080 Genuine Toyota DISC, REAR 42431-60080 | eBay

Might be cheaper to upgrade the rear back plates to 92+ so that you can have an easier time locating rotors based on the LX450 and NA 80 series. I find rockauto has a huge selection of parts for the 92+ LX450/Landcruiser. Later on you can do the fronts which will require dust plate modification or new 92+ ones. Also make sure your rim is larger than 15" or you'll need new rubber and rims to boot. That's where I messed up when upgrading. :meh:

New backing plate are 600 + each, unless you have luck finding a wrecked truck and they can part out pieces of the axles you won't have much luck

BCR4619,

Are you talking about new backing plates for the 90-91 or do you mean the backing plates for 92+? I picked up OEM backing plates for $150ea from toyotapartsdirect.ca

4650460041 1 $ 152.64 PLATE SUB-ASSEMBLY, PARKING BRAKE, LEFT
PLATE,BRAKE
4650360081 1 $ 152.64 PLATE SUB-ASSEMBLY, PARKING BRAKE, RIGHT
PLATE,BRAKE
4778260100 1 $ 17.86 COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY, DISC BRAKE DUST, FRONT LEFT
COVER,DUST
4778160100 1 $ 17.86 COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY, DISC BRAKE DUST, FRONT RIGHT
COVER,DUST

These part numbers(for 92+)worked to redo all 4 corners on my 1990 HDJ81.

Last edited:
BCR4619,

Are you talking about new backing plates for the 90-91 or do you mean the backing plates for 92+? I picked up OEM backing plates for $150ea from toyotapartsdirect.ca

4650460041 1 $ 152.64 PLATE SUB-ASSEMBLY, PARKING BRAKE, LEFT
PLATE,BRAKE
4650360081 1 $ 152.64 PLATE SUB-ASSEMBLY, PARKING BRAKE, RIGHT
PLATE,BRAKE
4778260100 1 $ 17.86 COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY, DISC BRAKE DUST, FRONT LEFT
COVER,DUST
4778160100 1 $ 17.86 COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY, DISC BRAKE DUST, FRONT RIGHT
COVER,DUST

These part numbers(for 92+)worked to redo all 4 corners on my 1990 HDJ81.
Thats very interesting, I don't know how the Canadian price can be 3 times lower than the american price?!

I was able to swap my rears with a different truck so it did not cost me anything, good to know anyway

Replacement of the rear rotors is so infrequent I don't know why anyone would bother converting to the FZJ backing plates.

Rotors are cheap on Ebay Aus. These are rear brakes, I wouldn't overthink it.

This is how I see it. By the time the next replacement becomes comes due, it will be 2044 if they last as long as the first ones.

Thats very interesting, I don't know how the Canadian price can be 3 times lower than the american price?!

I was able to swap my rears with a different truck so it did not cost me anything, good to know anyway

I know right!? I was pretty stoked when I looked up the pricing. I double checked again the other day and I think they're $155 now, so still available if anyone goes that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom