'90 LJ78 turbo diesel use bio diesel blend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting this 79K mile '90 LJ78 turbo diesel delivered today. There is a station in town with B30 diesel. Would using that cause any problems? This might depend on a precombustion chamber. Does this engine have that?

IMG_2144.jpeg

I'd be worried about longevity of the electronic injection pump with biodiesel. I've seen pictures of them after biodiesel use for a while and they look terrible inside. New pumps are huge $$, so not worth the risk. But I'm not familiar with b30. Maybe pictures I saw was less processed fry oil.

Thanks. I will post it to Diesel Tech too.

GTS, I had an '89 mercedes fry oil conversion and learned that the oil strips gunk off the inner surfaces of the pump, lines, etc. So, checking the filter and replacing it until it runs clean is important. But, it also deteriorates natural rubber like gaskets and lines. Being so old, it is possible this is the case with my newly acquired '90 LJ78. I have not been able to get any results to searching out the answer. So much of the technology is progressive in this truck I would not be surprised if all the rubber is synthetic though. Fuel lines can be easily replaced. The bigger concern is in the fuel pump as you pointed out. Anybody have experience running bio20-30 (%) in these vintage trucks? Thank you for your consideration.

Hey Gun Runner, this is Greg (David) Young. I just got this LJ78 delivered from you guys! CA DMV has me through the first step. Now I bring it in for inspection. I love it, cleaning it up now and looking forward to getting it on the road. Thanks and I will recommend you to others interested in these great off roaders.
Glad to hear it arrived safely. 👍
Just remember, John and Rob are the brains of the operation. 😁

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom