#9 Beige metallic bodywork and paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kelly saad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
The project:
1. Disassemble vehicle, remove doors, tailgate and hatch.
2. Strip paint to bare metal.
3. Remove doors, hatch and tailgate.
4. Preserve existing chrome to replace.
5. Remove seam sealer in roof gutters, and windshield area, repair any rust, seal again.
6. New lower door skin replacement panels. Sand blast remaining rust, seal bare metal and new seam sealer.
7. Passenger side new lower quarter panel.
8. Repair crushed in roof dents and other damage to roof.
9. Replace A pillar gutter sections.
10. Replace existing hatch, repair rust in lower hatch with new lower skin.
11. Exterior paint, B/C, wet sand, and polish.

This vehicle is very clean and quite free of rust. The body is beat up pretty good though, so there will be lots of body work :clap:

65223541411__998533A9-B358-4A5F-BCB4-C47C63876C5E.JPG

This project is actually done but I haven’t had time this last couple months to think about posting pictures. I will go through my photos and upload some each day.
D4570372-6F0D-4A03-BE9A-C5E33C4E96A6.jpeg

The gutters had rust, not bad but it was throughout under the existing seam sealer. This is a before pic with rust, and after I sand blasted it. Then I used Eastwood internal frame coating all along the gutter, and let it run into the seam, then I wipe off the excess that is visible, wire wheel again and apply self leveling DTM epoxy seam sealer.

IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG

There were 2 nice sized dents on the front roof corners ( the entire red circle was dented in about 3/4"). It was a tricky spot, so I pulled loose the headliner, and figured out a way to pry up the dent. I used the large vice grip clamped to the gutter with baling wire tied at just the right place that I could use a long spoon as a pry bar. A second vice grip on the handle of the first vice grip to hold it in place. The spoon has a fairly round end on it, so it didn't create high spots from a sharp corner like a normal pry bar would have. Once I had pressure on the dent, and pushed it back out, I used a hammer while applying pressure to get strength to the metal again. Basically like a hammer and dolly. It worked out well.

IMG_0437.JPG

Removed the A pillar gutters. Made new gutter sections and sand blasted the rust that was underneath the existing. Applied Zinc weld through primer and welded the new gutters on. Pics here show the rust and what it looks like after sand blasting.

IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG

Kelly, thanks for posting new pictures of the work you did to restore my truck. The rust that it did have was starting to pop up in the typical places. It was difficult to ignore when I saw it at eye level in the A-channel each time I opened the front doors.

It is good to know that’s not coming back anytime soon!

Amazing how much quieter it runs with new window and door seals.

The seats are being recovered this week and the following week I’ll put in the new dash pad and instrument bezel.

If I could only wave a magic wand and replace that gutless straight 6 with an LS V8

Removed the A pillar gutters. Made new gutter sections and sand blasted the rust that was underneath the existing. Applied Zinc weld through primer and welded the new gutters on. Pics here show the rust and what it looks like after sand blasting.

View attachment 2821471View attachment 2821472
Kelly, never realized the A-pillar gutter was removable. I try to learn something new everyday and off to a good start this AM. Great work and appreciate the level of detail you share with us. Jimmy

Kelly, never realized the A-pillar gutter was removable. I try to learn something new everyday and off to a good start this AM. Great work and appreciate the level of detail you share with us. Jimmy
Thanks!! Yeah, just find the spot welds, drill them out with a spot weld bit, and cut it off at the bend somewhere before the roof connects. It's pretty easy actually. Making the new piece is a little tricky withe the shrinker/stretcher but you could probably just bend it by hand, maybe.

LOVEEEE that color...wowow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom