88 FJ62 Windshield Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gordista

Me and the Clan in 'Yota Landcruisers out there
SILVER Star
Threads
HideeHo
So my lovely gals windshield was damaged during transport- an open transport (against my wishes but alas) had been an arduous trip for the goat - rain sleet snow - anyway she arrived - just lovely- with a fresh coat of wax and rain x or something which caused the water to bead - so I did walk around all appeared well signed off - hopped in fired it up - turned on the wipers and once the beads of water were gone I noticed two rock chips in the OEM windshield.

No surprise the transport company wasn’t helpful or accountable - letting that roll off back.

Thankfully the truck had been parked inside so chips remain intact. Today swung into my go to glass shop- they determined one of the two chips might be too big- best case in filling - it doesn’t take and eventually continues to grow - worst case during injection process it starts cracking immediately

I explained it was my understanding the OEM windshield is discontinued and requested they use their resources to outsource - I suspect they’ve got to know someone who knows someone. They do have resources which was reassuring. Shop left me a voicemail later this afternoon to let me know they were able to find a windshield -
I won’t be able to learn more until tomorrow morning during business hours - for some reason Ohio may have been mentioned but I can’t remember…

Before I commit or ask further questions to shop I was hoping for some insight on windshield replacements-
outfits to avoid?

Sources to try?

Common issues post replacement ?

Any specifics to request?

Suggested parts (gaskets etc that the standard glass shop might not have on hand but are vital)

Or if any peeps on forums that may have one or know a guy (or gal)

Thank you so much
G

Hey G,
Congratulations on your new truck. Not sure if OEM glass is available or not. I buy my windshields from a local glass guy. I’ve put a handful of them into 60’s over the last few years. This one is going into a friends 61 @bottombracket out of Austin as soon as I can get a free day up at his shop. Been waiting for warmer weather which is now upon us. Pretty straight forward install. I’ve never reused the stainless insert from Toyota. I always use the rubber insert that I buy online.

IMG_0199.jpeg

IMG_0196.jpeg

IMG_0198.jpeg

IMG_0197.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom