88 FJ62 t-case trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up an 88 FJ62, 1 owner older gentlemen not abused bone stock no rust for cheap.because where the linkage attaches to the t-case fell off and the inner lever slipped into case. No big deal I said to myself,I went through the side case and reached in there with a long screwdriver and slipped it back up connected linkage and now all I get is hi-range and neutral no lo-range, feels like I'm hittin a brick wall. tried pretty much everthing I can think of any suggestions?

You WILL need to pull the rear half of the transfer case off to repair. The hi/lo shifter can sit in the tranfer and look OK while not being in the right position (I've done my transfer case often enough to know). While you're at it check the oil level between the tranny and transfer they commonly leak so that the tranny becomes over full and the transfer case goes dry (common '60 series problem). This would be a great time to replace those seals!

There is a little arm on the shift rod that has to engage a slot on the shift fork shaft. It is hard to believe that you could shift it into Hi and N if it wasn't properly engaged, since there is only one slot. Try turning the drive shaft while you are trying to engage Lo. If it won't shift easily, I would take it apart and find out why.

It looks i'm going to have to separate the case. any tricks, anything I need to watch out for. Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom