88 FJ62 stuck in 4WD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I'm stumped. My 88 FJ62 is stuck in 4wd. When the 4wd low button is depressed (what should be the on position, 4wd lo) I am in 4wd and the 4wd indicator light does not come on. When I release the button (what should be the off position, 2wd), I am still in 4wd and the 4wd indicator light comes on. What could it be?? Please help me out!

Thanks!!

Richard

I am not sure I quite follow the actual explanation but I get the gist of it... Your stuck in 4wd right?

Its more than likely whats called your Solenoid. That is located on the firewall in the engine compartment on the passenger side. its got a blue piece and a red piece on it and tube(vaccum hoses) going into it. Try buying a good used one first which will prob run you 50-100 bucks depending on who has one.

If its not that buy a 4wd switch and swap that out. also very easy.

by blowing air thru them disconnected I found that the hard lines(metal hoses)going into my 4wd solenoids had rusted closed so i had to replace those and I was golden.

If you have questions feel free to email me and I can give you my phone #. Its not a hard fix but I say that now. When it happened to me I was not experienced mechanically at all so it was nerve racking as heck.

Also you solenoid lines could be backwards....

Also you solenoid lines could be backwards....

x2. By your explanation it sounds like somehow your lines got crossed. Any work done to the truck lately that would have caused this, or maybe wires crossed on the switch? Not sure if that's possible or not. And I assume you mean 4HI and 4LO, as LO would be the manual floor shifter.

Have you tried swapping your vacuum lines? Again these are the blue and red ones on your firewall. Take a look at this thread (post #15):

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/106662-fj-62-t-case-actuator-solenoids.html

Swap the E1 And E2 vacuum lines. While powered on push button again. Light should come off, confirm by having a helper look at your drive shaft while the truck is moving.

Return the lines as they were so you can engage again later.

It's been awhile since I've done this, good luck.

Alan
P1020310.jpg

Last edited:
Yes MTB_Rider, I meant 4wd hi, sorry stoopid me. The most recent work I had done was a tranny flush at the local Pep Boys, where i discovered they were just plain old crooks. They wanted 1k to do my rear brakes, I said thank you, no. Hopefully they did not screw anything up.

Yes 77cruiser, I thought I might have had my lines crossed as well.

Will have to look into the FSM, thanks for the pic alkarich, hopefully that will disengage the front axel until I can get in there and fix it.

Has anyone done spook50's pnumatic actuator swap? Would that be the best route if it is indeed faulty solenoids.

Thanks,

Richard

Look at post #5 in the thread alkarich quoted, it's cheaper and easier than Spook 50's solution but maybe not as bulletproof. It cost me $50 for the vacuum switch Spook used.

I kinda like the idea of keeping under the hood looking as stock as possible, plus i really wanted to do alpine cowboys inverter install, where spook put his actuater swtich. SO i guess tomorrow morning it is off to Mr. toyota to order a celica solenoid.

Alkarich, thanks again for the link swapped the lines and presto, 2wd.

77cruiser, thanks for the tip, blew compressed air through the lines they were clear, but good to know for future, I would not have thought of checking the lines.

This site rules! I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Thanks,

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom